Predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chem1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I just needed some guidance on an issue regarding one of my premed classes. My lab teacher has a strict policy where if you show up late, you get a 0. So my econ class ended up not having enough exams for everyone right before my lab, so because I had not been given the same amount of time for the exam, my teacher let me finish 15 mins after class, which runs into my lab time. I show up to lab, and my lab teacher gives me a straight up 0, and told me to talk to the dean if I wanted. So I went, and he said theres nothing he could do other than for me to drop the course this quarter, and retake it next year. What should I do? If I continue with the course, I will likely receive a C for the course, but if I take it next year I'll be taking my bio sequence as well. I hear that taking orgo and bio at the same time is stressful. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Withdraw, retake w/ a different professor.

Please learn to be punctual.

Members don't see this ad :)
My orgo lab teacher is bull headed and he will not budge on any policies. The dean of students said that I could take to him and smooth things over, but he is known for being very strict.

Last edited:
I hate when professors are unreasonable like that. If it comes down to it though, taking orgo and bio at the same time shouldn't be that bad. Of course, it will take good study skills and time management skills because of the heavy duty reading and memorization. But I wouldn't get too stressed about it. I took orgo 1 with two bio classes while having mono. I got A's in the bio classes and a B in orgo, which I know would have been an A if I didn't consistently fall asleep while studying because of the mono.

I should tell you about the time when I had to run 1 mile uphill in 10 minutes between classes freshman year ;p

Hey I just needed some guidance on an issue regarding one of my premed classes. My lab teacher has a strict policy where if you show up late, you get a 0. So my econ class ended up not having enough exams for everyone right before my lab, so because I had not been given the same amount of time for the exam, my teacher let me finish 15 mins after class, which runs into my lab time. I show up to lab, and my lab teacher gives me a straight up 0, and told me to talk to the dean if I wanted. So I went, and he said theres nothing he could do other than for me to drop the course this quarter, and retake it next year. What should I do? If I continue with the course, I will likely receive a C for the course, but if I take it next year I'll be taking my bio sequence as well. I hear that taking orgo and bio at the same time is stressful. Let me know what you think, thanks.

OMG I'm so sorry that happened. I would really get the econ teacher to talk to the chem teacher, no matter how pushy you have to get. That's so not your fault! And Bio and ochem at the same time is very doable.

wow that is terrible. the only condolence i have to give you is that your teacher is definitely very strict and you should consider retaking. I once walked into a lab one hour late and my TA still let it go...