Predicting whether you fit in with your future classmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrngoutAS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's a question I haven't seen addressed that I was kinda curious about. Can you get a decent feel for what a school's incoming class will be like from the other students you happen to interview with that day? Obviously, it's a small cross section, but has anyone else been turned off from a school b/c of the other applicants who could be your future classmates? Case in point, I was at a well-respected school that I had good feelings for for the most part except I just got this total vibe of arrogance from the other applicants. I really can't imagine myself going to school with people that stuck on themselves for four years but I do like the school and its other qualities.

For the most part, the actual students seemed to be decent people although there were a few here or there that had the "Ivy-league" attitude too..

Anyone with any suggestions or similar circumstances?

Members don't see this ad.

well i get a vibe from the others i am interviewing with and with the good number of med students i meet as i walk around and talk to for a bit.

i meet a lot of people thru my student hosts and we hang and stuff and i can get a sense of them in a more personal non school setting...

i trust my instincts and if i feel suspicious about a place... then there must be some truth to it....

I think you just need to figure out whether the school itself and the students who already go there are a good fit, and trust that others who also think so will be admitted as well, and will also choose to go there.

We had some people in my interview group that I thought were kind of obnoxious, but who seemed very certain they had an "in" at the school. You know the kind--walking around saying things like, "Oh I'm really going to like it here next year." While the rest of us are thinking, gosh it'd be great *if* I got to come here next year.

Well, none of those people got in. But the ones I thought were pretty cool, who had some personality but didn't act like they were god's gift to the school, or like they needed to impress everyone, were the ones who ended up in my class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by StrngoutAS
So here's a question I haven't seen addressed that I was kinda curious about. Can you get a decent feel for what a school's incoming class will be like from the other students you happen to interview with that day? Obviously, it's a small cross section, but has anyone else been turned off from a school b/c of the other applicants who could be your future classmates? Case in point, I was at a well-respected school that I had good feelings for for the most part except I just got this total vibe of arrogance from the other applicants. I really can't imagine myself going to school with people that stuck on themselves for four years but I do like the school and its other qualities.

For the most part, the actual students seemed to be decent people although there were a few here or there that had the "Ivy-league" attitude too..

Umm... Totally got that vibe at BU. The class, however, was the complete opposite: fun, outgoing, and friendly.

I agree with Samoa, though. I think the school will choose the right people that fit with their philosophy and so should I get in, those are the people I will be going to school with. :)

The "personality" of the students and applicants I meet on interview day is probably one of the most important factors for me in deciding between schools. Even before seeing them in person, adcoms can get a pretty good idea of what people are like based on their essays and LOR's. So, I've looked to see what kinds of kids they're inviting. Also, I've made a huge effort to talk to a lot of students at the various to get an idea of what they're like and how I'd fit in with them. Me, I don't want to go to a school where I don't mesh well with the other students. It'd just be asking for four years of frustration.

Originally posted by Bones2008
The "personality" of the students and applicants I meet on interview day is probably one of the most important factors for me in deciding between schools. Even before seeing them in person, adcoms can get a pretty good idea of what people are like based on their essays and LOR's. So, I've looked to see what kinds of kids they're inviting. Also, I've made a huge effort to talk to a lot of students at the various to get an idea of what they're like and how I'd fit in with them. Me, I don't want to go to a school where I don't mesh well with the other students. It'd just be asking for four years of frustration.

Remember that at around 2/3 of the people invited to interview will NOT be admitted to the school.

Just as an analogy, it's like going on a first date. People look good, in person or on paper, or from their friends' descriptions, but often after just one in-depth conversation you know they're not right.

Originally posted by StrngoutAS

Interesting thread....

I can't say that I have been turned off by other interviewees (given the small sample size) but I have met a bunch of really neat people with whom I would love to go to med school (esp at certain schools). That said, I think 2nd look weekend is a much better time to find out more about a school (if you get accepted).

Originally posted by Samoa
Remember that at around 2/3 of the people invited to interview will NOT be admitted to the school.
This depends on the school. Some schools (UMich comes to mind) eventually accept more than half of those interviewed. Regardless, different schools look for different kinds of people. The people that you meet at interviews can give an indication of the kinds of people they look for.