Predictions for How long before CVS shuts down Target pharmacies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modest_anteater

Walgreens @ Austin, Texas.
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
July 2021.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
why would they shut them down? they did a conference call a while back how they are profitable and congratulating the target cvs team about how they were able to do something target wasn't

I don’t consider rebranding target to “minute clinic” or cvs really a loss in manpower when there in the business of making $. Unless you really think they wanna tear down the walls and beat their chest with pride.

Members don't see this ad :)
All CVS does in acquisitions over the years. look back historically. I would imagine they are making money with them, so why cut them?

Never. Haven't you heard. CVS is going to qv sharing. Target is going to do qv1 for all the pharmacies since they're so slow and then drastically cut hours for cvs stores. Expect layoffs in the coming months.
What’s qv sharing mean?

Never. Haven't you heard. CVS is going to qv sharing. Target is going to do qv1 for all the pharmacies since they're so slow and then drastically cut hours for cvs stores. Expect layoffs in the coming months.
Yup. We have already had serious tech hour cuts in my store...to a level that I just cannot see as sustainable .

I work at a Core store and recently picked up some shifts at Target stores. Even with QV Sharing it is still definitely easier at CVS Target. Thinking about making the transfer to Target. Is this a good move on my part?

I work at a Core store and recently picked up some shifts at Target stores. Even with QV Sharing it is still definitely easier at CVS Target. Thinking about making the transfer to Target. Is this a good move on my part?

Yes those are the easiest retail jobs so definitely take it if available. The only caviet is is the job security is not as good.

Yes those are the easiest retail jobs so definitely take it if available. The only caviet is is the job security is not as good.
The DL for Target CVS asks if I want to move into his Target district. My concern is also job security in the long run.

The DL for Target CVS asks if I want to move into his Target district. My concern is also job security in the long run.

Apparently job security isn't good anywhere based on all the recent threads. People getting fired from Walgreens, Walmart etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m still waiting for the day they actually close a Cvs in Target store, it was to come eventually. We have a few stores in the district they are now only open 10-7pm weekdays (instead of 9-7) and they just switched all 9-9 stores to 9-8 last week. Surprisingly they did open two new Cvs stores inside in the past year when they built brand new targets.

• Love
I’m still waiting for the day they actually close a Cvs in Target store, it was to come eventually. We have a few stores in the district they are now only open 10-7pm weekdays (instead of 9-7) and they just switched all 9-9 stores to 9-8 last week. Surprisingly they did open two new Cvs stores inside in the past year when they built brand new targets.

There have been stand alone CVS stores closed in the past few years and 24 stores turned into non 24 hour stores. It's only a matter of time.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes...is it so bad I secretly wish for my store to close so that I can leave without actually quitting

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently job security isn't good anywhere based on all the recent threads. People getting fired from Walgreens, Walmart etc.

Nah man, its turned into , hop in, do some time, hop out after you grab your cash, go to another..... hey why should we be any different than many of these big CEO's these days... they hop in, shred to the bone, post profit and run to the next company.....

I can confirm that with direct knowledge. Target actually has to consent on a pharmacy closing as it has major tax and land use implications for the building (CoN rules for tax relief or building permits). That was a non-negotiable point for Target. That doesn't mean CVS cannot close them, but it has to be negotiated due to the way the follow on effects are if a pharmacy is not in the building. To those who don't understand that part of zoning, a Certificate of Need basically allows for some relaxing of rules for zoning and taxation benefits for having a building with health benefits to the community. It always applies to clinics and hospitals, but most states have specific language for pharmacies as well (that's why there's always a real estate law department in a chain pharmacy besides the acquisition policies). So, it's not a CVS-imposed matter, they would need to negotiate with Target and the local building authorities on the closing because to close the pharmacy may have an implication that the whole building loses zoning certification. Since CVS and their pharmacies are one and the same in theory, no big deal. For Target, who runs a business where pharmacy was usually a loss leader or a specific requirement to build in that jurisdiction and want to keep the business running even without the pharmacy, that's harder.

I don't think so completely for CVS or Target for reasons stated above, that would be a tax and usage disaster for them (as in, the one-time accounting charge would be a material statement for them). Whether they slowly squeeze out the pharmacists and wind down the operations where they can get off the CoN earlier, that'll be fine. Good luck though staying in the major metropolitan areas (Minneapolis-St. Paul, Portland, Seattle) without keeping the pharmacy in the building as the zoning rules would not allow that store at those sizes except for the CoN exceptions.

We'd probably see closings occur piecemeal over a long period of time.

Collapse is inevitable

July 2021.
As a former target/cvs employee, I would like to see them shut down all of them lol I hated those pretentious, stuck up pharmacists who thought of themselves superior than other cvs pharmacists lol which was a complete joke. I swear those group chats made me sick how they would praise each other and suck each other's peenuss. "Great job, TEAM! you are precious and awesome for being you! congrats on 100 flu shots this week! let me go suck your cawk!"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
As a former target/cvs employee, I would like to see them shut down all of them lol I hated those pretentious, stuck up pharmacists who thought of themselves superior than other cvs pharmacists lol which was a complete joke. I swear those group chats made me sick how they would praise each other and suck each other's peenuss. "Great job, TEAM! you are precious and awesome for being you! congrats on 100 flu shots this week! let me go suck your cawk!"

I remember Target Rphs would whine on Facebook about how slow it was at their store. Then they would get into a pissing contest about whose store was slowest. The opposite of a standalone CVS lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I remember Target Rphs would whine on Facebook about how slow it was at their store. Then they would get into a pissing contest about whose store was slowest. The opposite of a standalone CVS lol.
I remember all the pharmacists complaining how slow their Riteaid stores were. Then WAGS bought a bunch of Riteaid and cut some of the fat (aka closed many of the crappy stores) and now I know 3 chronically unemployed former Riteaid pharmacists.

IF you work at a slow store you do not have job security.

When they do close them it won't be just one. It will be hundreds or thousands

I floated at a target/cvs that had 10-5 m-f, 11-4 sat, closed on sunday lol patients are like wtf? i work from 9-6, how am i supposed to pick up my meds? lol i don't know who's genius idea it was to open the damn store during the exact time everyone is working lol cvs don't give a fawq.

• Haha
I floated at a target/cvs that had 10-5 m-f, 11-4 sat, closed on sunday lol patients are like wtf? i work from 9-6, how am i supposed to pick up my meds? lol i don't know who's genius idea it was to open the damn store during the exact time everyone is working lol cvs don't give a fawq.

Target audience was probably retired elderly.

Target audience was probably retired elderly.
Nope. It was in the middle of industrial sector of the city. Lol. Not alot of houses or apartments. They barely filled about 50 scripts a day. Lol

• Haha
Chain pharmacies in such locations typically cater to nearby workers and are probably low-volume. For example several Walgreens in the Embarcadero and the Financial District in San Francisco are closed on Sat/Sun and are open 7-7

Chain locations catering to old people might be open earlier and close earlier like 7-8

Psh...plenty of pharmacies have hours like that and do just fine. My pharmacy closes at 6 mon thru frid and is only open until 1 on saturday. We still do pretty good volume and are profitable.

• Hmm
Psh...plenty of pharmacies have hours like that and do just fine. My pharmacy closes at 6 mon thru frid and is only open until 1 on saturday. We still do pretty good volume and are profitable.
Yes, our pharmacy does too. Typical indie hours. This target cvs I worked at barely did about 50 scripts a day haha most of them would be picked up on Saturdays.

Yes, our pharmacy does too. Typical indie hours. This target cvs I worked at barely did about 50 scripts a day haha most of them would be picked up on Saturdays.

Yea I have a friend who got hired on by Target and the week his license activated, they announced the CVS buyout. He does a bit more than 50 (maybe 70-80/day), but he went from two techs and a clerk to by himself last year. That's low volume and all, and Target staffing levels were obviously overkill, but I cant imagine just being absolutely alone at work like that all the time.

Yea I have a friend who got hired on by Target and the week his license activated, they announced the CVS buyout. He does a bit more than 50 (maybe 70-80/day), but he went from two techs and a clerk to by himself last year. That's low volume and all, and Target staffing levels were obviously overkill, but I cant imagine just being absolutely alone at work like that all the time.
Even at low volume, its scary to be lone. Haha. CVS dont care though. You better meet them metrics.

Try doing an overnight shift at a real CVS and the Target shift will feel like nothing.