Prefered Pharm Source

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markhh10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to narrow it down to one source for each subject + FA........ It all seems like a straight forward choice except in Pharm.

So my question would be, which is the best source to complement FA for Pharm?:confused:

RR Pharm
Pharm Recall
Lippincott
Kaplan Pharm
Katzung Pharm
USMLE Roadmap Pharm

Members don't see this ad.

What is the purpose of this supplemental text? There's nothing worth memorizing outside of FA for Pharm, but if your fundamentals are really weak Katzung might be a good choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am trying to narrow it down to one source for each subject + FA........ It all seems like a straight forward choice except in Pharm.

So my question would be, which is the best source to complement FA for Pharm?:confused:

RR Pharm
Pharm Recall
Lippincott
Kaplan Pharm
Katzung Pharm
USMLE Roadmap Pharm

I like Roadmap. It's very short, but you can get away with that since as other posters have said you only need to know what's in FA. It's a good way to tie FA together, since it's fairly disjointed.

I would second the comment about everything you need being in FA. However, if you have problems memorizing the drug info in FA's format, another source could help. I used Lange pharm cards and thought they were fine--echoed what FA said but made it easier to remember. As for other sources: Lippincott is no good, I have heard that Katzung is overwhelming if you haven't been using it all along (which is why I didn't use it), a friend tried using boards and wards and found that it wasn't really useful for boards, and I don't know how good your other proposed sources are but if they are lengthy I think your time would be best spent on other things.

I like Katzung. FA got a lot of its diagrams out of it and sometimes I feel like they plagiarized from that book.

Anyone use Kaplan Pharm? It looks informative, but REALLY long.

I used kaplan pharm, and thought it was just write. Cuz pharm at my school sucked a$$. But if you have a good foundation in pharm it is overkill and FA is all you need.

I really liked the Lange Pharm Cards in addition to FA. I read RR Pharm and it was absolutely horrible- tons of errors and not worth the time. Didn't care for Kaplan either....

I like Katzung. FA got a lot of its diagrams out of it and sometimes I feel like they plagiarized from that book.
Yeah, the entire FA pharm section is straight out of Roadmap Pharm by Katzung, just like how the entire Micro section is right out of Lange Micro. At least they cited the diagrams...

so no one recommends lippincott huh? pharm is one of my weak subjects so i need some sort of "text." memorizing straight out of FA w/o context is hard for me...

I'm gonna try to go through brs cards 4-5 times throughout, rely on FA otherwise, and look stuff up in Katzung review book if i need clarification. Not sure if this will work, but i think that's what i'm going to do.

FA "actually" doesn't have everything, e.g. sirolimus. And this isn't some obscure drug either, as far as I know.

there are very few immunosuppresents you'll likely be asked questions on.......you're 25x more likely to get a question cyclosporin or whatever than sirolimus.

RR Pharm
Pharm Recall
Lippincott
Kaplan Pharm
Katzung Pharm
USMLE Roadmap Pharm

Lippincott has a lot of good books. Though I haven't checked out there one for pharm.

I've been using Lippincott Pharm during my coursework and I like it so far. It good good reviews in first aid and from other people I've talked to. Why do you guys think its not good?