-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Preferred Choice of Footware
Started by mostwanted
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Been wearing Dansko Professionals for the last 8 years.
Very comfortable and durable. Each pair has lasted ~4 years of truly everyday wear. About the only time I don't have them on is if I am wearing my sandals or I put on a hiking or mud boot for a specific purpose. At the four-year mark, they are still structurally in good shape, but a bit grody. The biggest drawback is the clog noise. Everybody can hear me coming around the corner and knows that it is me. Between my gait and the Danskos, I have a very distinctive sound. It has become somewhat of a joke around the hospital.
I am seriously considering switching to the Dansko Wynn
I have tried them on a few times now. Equally comfortable and a lot quieter due to a snugger fit and a softer sole. Can't comment on durability, but I am pretty sure this is what will be on my feet within the next few months.
- pod
Very comfortable and durable. Each pair has lasted ~4 years of truly everyday wear. About the only time I don't have them on is if I am wearing my sandals or I put on a hiking or mud boot for a specific purpose. At the four-year mark, they are still structurally in good shape, but a bit grody. The biggest drawback is the clog noise. Everybody can hear me coming around the corner and knows that it is me. Between my gait and the Danskos, I have a very distinctive sound. It has become somewhat of a joke around the hospital.
I am seriously considering switching to the Dansko Wynn
I have tried them on a few times now. Equally comfortable and a lot quieter due to a snugger fit and a softer sole. Can't comment on durability, but I am pretty sure this is what will be on my feet within the next few months.
- pod
I will put my vote in for Keen shoes. I found the Danksos to be awkward to wear; they were too high and narrow for my big flat feet. My first pair of Keen's made it about 4 years of almost daily use.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Call me crazy but...
I've tried Danskos, Crocs, Birkenstocks, & New Balance, but nothing is as comfortable as plain old Nike's.
I've tried Danskos, Crocs, Birkenstocks, & New Balance, but nothing is as comfortable as plain old Nike's.
I'm late to the dansko party but I really, really like them. Very comfortable and not too warm.
I had a pair of Dansko's for four years and they held up well. Just switched over to crocs b/c of late night bloody traumas and I can literally hose them off.
As you can see already, everyone's foot is different. Most important is to buy from a place with a good return policy. Wear them indoors exclusively for a few days. Return them if you don't like them. I would especially make that recommendation regarding Danskos. Many men find the elevated, narrow profile to be troublesome. I suspect that women who are used to higher heels etc do not have as difficult a time adjusting, but I have never asked around.
- pod
- pod
Dansko decided to stop making their shoes about 1 size too small for me. As a big and tall man who wears out shoes, I find that purchasing a pair of $50 basketball shoes will last for a year or so of in hospital use, then I just get another pair. No knee or back problems yet, and with new stylish shoes my feet don't ache at the end of the long call shifts.
Look at Sanita clogs. They manufactured Dansko's original clog and retain control of the patent. Dansko's current clogs use a slightly different (cheaper) design. Sanitas go one additional size up from the Dansko's to 48 (14.5-15). Amazon has them in stock and has a great return policy.
-pod
-pod
I never understood why anyone, including surgeons, would wear clogs. They look silly and will never be as comfortable as a pair of sneakers. Plus you can hear them from down the hall. A good pair of Asics or Adidas will last for years, are comfortable and will keep your feet ventilated. I can wear mine for 24 hours and be happy.
gore-tex new balances. Never could get into the clogs or the danskos.
I think I was just called silly in one thread and a db in another for my choice of footwear. 
- pod

- pod
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
New Balance 993's are the bomb. I have been wearing this line of New Balance for years and have never worn a more comfortable sneaker.
Just switched to the Ecco Biom Train at the beginning of May. Formerly wore Brooks Trance which were comfortable, but my feet always hurt at the end of the day. The Eccos are amazing! Very European from an aesthetic standpoint, and don't feel cushiony like the Brooks, but they provide great support and my feet/legs haven't hurt one bit after wearing them. A bit pricey, but well worth it so far.
Attachments
I have a set of birkis that I need to replace the inserts on due to fabric wear, but they have saved my toes from dropped instruments more than I care to imagine.
Now that I'm now back in residency, I will probably wear the birkis again, or use my older running shoes until they wear completely.
Now that I'm now back in residency, I will probably wear the birkis again, or use my older running shoes until they wear completely.
D
deleted9493
I like the Birkenstock Boston. The cork sole will reliably give you 3 years of daily wear and I've never found anything else that allows me to not overheat (my feet easily overheat when I'm on them a lot on call, so I like to go sockless) but remain so comfortable. I've used Merrell clogs in the past which were ridiculously comfortable but were too hot. Running-style shoes have given me the same problem...after hour 12 or so in the hospital.