Preferred lenders for loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Med students, which preferred lender did you choose and why? I'm trying to decide and the terms of several lenders seem very similar and I'm a bit confused by all the fine print. Is MEDLOANS the most commonly used lender?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about medloans, but I know there are a # of loan agencies with high origination fees and interest rates so I'm searching out nonprofit loan agencies to keep the costs down. Anyone got any tips?

T.H.E. has 0% origination and 0% guarantee fees on both subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford. It's a non-profit that is my school's preferred lender and I've heard nothing but good things about them. The URL is <a href="http://www.northstar.org" target="_blank">www.northstar.org</a>
Avoid Wells-Fargo at all costs. They do have 0% guarantee and origination fees, but they capitalize your interest TWICE on your unsubsidized loans, so you end up paying way more interest than you should.