Pregnancy and Flouro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paindoc1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any women on the forum?

If so, how many of you have chosen to work while pregnant under flouro?

Just curious. I have not looked yet...but does anyone know of reliable data on this topic?

Members don't see this ad.

ha, i kind of liked all the "dear sir" emails and "pm"s I was getting....

karenv, there was a thread a while back about this topic - you might be able to find it via search function.

i think the consensus was - there are women in radiology, GI, cardiology, etc. so it's not just an issue in pain. anecdotally, i spoke to two female pain docs who wore radiation badges near the area of their uterus - then put on their regular lead aprons and went about their days doing injections. They said when they checked the badges a month or two later, there was NO radiation detected on those badges. it's anecdotal but it's something.

there are also "pregnancy shields" - extra thick lead skirt that you can wear to shield the uterus area. probably will give you SI joint pain but may be worth it for the first trimester. you could technically cut down your procedures during the months you think you may try to get pregnant - do more EMGs, trigger points, consults, etc.

check this out from the UAB dept of radiology http://www.rad.uab.edu/Downloads/Policy_Pregnant Resi#2DC807.pdf
"According to the sample calculation in section I, which assumes the operator is wearing a maternity apron, it would take 100 exams
of 5 minutes each at the maximum fluoro rate in the course of a month to reach the monthly exposure limit for pregnancy. In reality many exams are performed belowthe maximum fluoro rate."

and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1553929

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a woman, but sorry can't help with pregnancy and fluoro. I personally would avoid any kind of fluoro exposure in first trimester. After that probably ok with pregnancy- designed lead apron. You will probably have bad back pain from the weight of apron and pregancy and prolonged standing

So why is it we can't xray babies in utero, but the moment they come out we xray the crap out of 'em without worrying about it?

Thanks for all of the responses. I was just curious what other people have done...so far I have decided to avoid flouro all together and just do consults for the entire time.