Pregnancy and fluoroscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EruditeDoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

About 3 days out of the week, I see new patients/ procedure follow ups. The other 2 days are spent doing procedures with the C-arm. I am not currently pregnant but actively trying. For the female docs or those who have females within your practice, what did you do / they do during pregnancy? I could likely get my partners to take over my procedure load but I'm not sure if that is completely necessary.

Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve seen pregnant females wear 2 leads. One of them being a “baby lead.” You can get a radiation badge to wear under the lead to monitor the “baby radiation” amount.

Be more mindful of stepping back because as you know twice the distance away from the source is four times less scatter exposure. 4 times further back is 16 times less radiation.

Maybe figure out which procedures you are using more radiation on and ask colleagues to do those for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have specific info re: pregnancy but distance, table side lead skirt and rolling lead shield to stand behind, along with wrap gown will cut exposure tremendously.

Yes, no exact guidelines.

I tried to minimize my times, stood back when could. We have the table skirt.

I double leaded, with a skirt and vest and then traditional lead on top. My fetal badge just under the top lead was always 0.
My techs, I really had to stay on them. I am the only physician that follows ALARA so they think I am crazy for keeping C-arm low and collimating. They are heavy on the pedal and cannot seem to remember to look at where the C-arm is prior to taking pics. I ended up just asking to be the only one to fluoro.

Good luck!

I just figure it will be my kid’s superhero origin story

images

Laterals are the killer. Step way back during lateral views or get the shield to stand behind.