Pregnancy and interviewing for job, how or if to disclose and timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buenomd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So not finding a definitive answer searching online. There seem to be two camps. One is don't tell employer and it's none of their business. Second is disclose it as it's not a good idea to start on the wrong foot. I'm concerned that disclosing during the interview process could be considered a negative.

At over 23 weeks, it can be tricky to hide and if the proposed start date is in future but may coincide with due date, how to bring up the subject?

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions on how to go about handing this? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So not finding a definitive answer searching online. There seem to be two camps. One is don't tell employer and it's none of their business. Second is disclose it as it's not a good idea to start on the wrong foot. I'm concerned that disclosing during the interview process could be considered a negative.

At over 23 weeks, it can be tricky to hide and if the proposed start date is in future but may coincide with due date, how to bring up the subject?

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions on how to go about handing this? Thank you!

Pregnancy is a protected legal status that they cannot ask about. That being said, asking for surprise maternity leave on your start date with no warning is going to be frustrating for whoever makes the schedule. Outpatient isn't as big of a problem because your clinics probably aren't going to be full and they won't have to pull locums but inpatient definitely is.

Totally your choice but if it were me and I intended to stay in this job long term I would disclose and probably push the start date so that it would not need to coincide with maternity leave. If they don't hire you because you are a new mother then it is a ****ty group of people you don't want to work with anyways.

Totally your choice but if it were me and I intended to stay in this job long term I would disclose and probably push the start date so that it would not need to coincide with maternity leave. If they don't hire you because you are a new mother then it is a ****ty group of people you don't want to work with anyways.
Not a woman.

Why wouldn’t/couldn’t you start after your due date? Some places won’t give you maternity benefit unless you worked for x amount of time? Also if it’s the job that you were thinking about that pays 1099, I don’t think you’d get paid either way.

Most jobs, if it’s a true good gig, couldn’t wait for you. It it’s a Sh***y job, they will wait, since no one really wants it.

Tough timing. I would line up child care/postpartum support, especially if it’s your first kid, before I think about getting a job.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a woman.

Why wouldn’t/couldn’t you start after your due date? Some places won’t give you maternity benefit unless you worked for x amount of time? Also if it’s the job that you were thinking about that pays 1099, I don’t think you’d get paid either way.

Most jobs, if it’s a true good gig, couldn’t wait for you. It it’s a Sh***y job, they will wait, since no one really wants it.

Tough timing. I would line up child care/postpartum support, especially if it’s your first kid, before I think about getting a job.

Good luck.

I guess I dont see a 3-4 month wait on start date for maternity purposes as overly onerous in the world of medicine for a good candidate. If it is a highly competitive market (ie big city, lots of applicants) then yes I would agree. Medicine is still a buyers market so there shouldn't be too much difficulty in finding a job that can accommodate a start date in December on whenever the OP thinks she will be done with maternity leave. Looking for a job with a July start date with the intent of immediately taking leave however will be a bad political move even if it is legally protected.

I think it's up to you. As noted, pregnancy is a protected class so you can't be not hired or have your offer rescinded "just" because you're pregnant. But that doesn't mean they couldn't come up with some other reason to not hire you. That said, do you want to work for a group that would do that because of a pregnancy?

I had this experience recently on the hiring side. We signed a graduating fellow in the late winter. She wanted to start in September since her husband had to finish his contract in August before moving and she wanted to take her boards. She called me in June and said she was pregnant and would be due in early December. I told her it was up to her how she wanted to play it. She could put off her start date until after the baby was born and her "maternity leave" was complete, or she could start, get some comfort with the practice and the system and then take (unpaid, because only 2-3 months of employment) and come back after her maternity leave. She chose the latter. No harm no foul and we got 2 solid months of work out of her so now I'm really looking forward to her return because she's a great doc and the staff and patients really like her.

Reactions: 1 users