pregnancy, CT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangethings

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an example of when a pelvic CT would be appropriate for a pregnant female?

Your Truly Slow,

Members don't see this ad.

Pregnancy is a significant contraindication for pelvic CT. As you probably know, ultrasound is the preferred modality. MR imaging is acceptable (although not readily available) in pregnancy, and there's some interest in fetal MR in radiology circles now. Head/chest CT is acceptable in pregnancy where there is sufficient medical justification and abdominal shielding.

Emergent gyn conditions can be evaluated by US (TOA, torsion), and reasonable suspicion of appendicitis warrants a trip to the OR instead of CT.

The only scenario where I could imagine pelvic CT would be used is in significant trauma when pregnancy status is unknown due to early gestational age or body habitus. In patients with a gravid abdomen, US (FAST) or DPL should be used first in this scenario, followed by ex lap -- not CT.

doepug said:
The only scenario where I could imagine pelvic CT would be used is in significant trauma when pregnancy status is unknown due to early gestational age or body habitus. In patients with a gravid abdomen, US (FAST) or DPL should be used first in this scenario, followed by ex lap -- not CT.

Or a late trimester pregnancy. Don't hold an abdominal CT if the patient is 35 weeks pregnant if she needs it.

Thanks guys, that was fantastic. I think I have the general idea now.