Pregnancy quad screen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain why a person with Down or Edward's syndrome would expect the results seen in each syndrome regarding APP, beta-hCG, estriol, and inhibin A? I am trying to understand the results as opposed to just memorizing them.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's how I think of it (not sure if right). Down syndrome: decreased AFP, decreased estriol, increased beta-HCG, and increased inhibin A.

1. AFP is made in the yolk sac/fetal liver and gets into the mother's blood where it is measured. Developmental delay in the down syndrome fetus = smaller yolk sac/fetus = less AFP getting into mother's blood.

2. Unconjugated estriol - kind of the same story. It is produced by fetus through its metabolism and crosses placenta to be measured in mother's blood. Developmental delay = less estriol.

Beta-HCG and Inhibin A seem much more complicated. Tried to look for mechanisms in some articles, but I'm a first year like you and haven't covered repro yet so I'm basically talking out of my ass. Interested in what other people can tell us because I was actually looking at this topic this morning.

Last edited: