Pregnant and applying ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoncandle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be noticeably pregnant during my ophtho interviews this fall, assuming all goes well from a health standpoint. I know that there isn't supposed to be discrimination, however ophtho is a very competitive residency and they have many good options for residents.

I have done very well in medical school and very well on the boards, but is this going to change my entire application? Do I need to apply to a lot more places to match? Do I bring it up in the interview so that I can explain that my husband is a writer who can work from home?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be noticeably pregnant during my ophtho interviews this fall, assuming all goes well from a health standpoint. I know that there isn't supposed to be discrimination, however ophtho is a very competitive residency and they have many good options for residents.

I have done very well in medical school and very well on the boards, but is this going to change my entire application? Do I need to apply to a lot more places to match? Do I bring it up in the interview so that I can explain that my husband is a writer who can work from home?

If I were in your shoes, I probably would point out that your husband can work from home. A program knowing that could potentially help you, and it couldn't hurt.
Programs are a lot more used to dealing with pregnancy leave, even during residency, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Plenty of residents already have children walking into residency. JMHO, but having a baby as a resident is much more of a strain on a program than coming in with what will be a 1 or 2 year old.

Just have a real solid answer for your childcare plans. My biggest trouble as a first year is dealing with all the unexpected schedule changes, disaster patients that walk in when I have to get my son, and call. Day care is only a small part of our equation. We also live in a rental apartment upstairs from my mother and have his mom one stay with us the weekends I'm on call and it still gets tricky sometimes...and we're lucky he's an easy child.

Have a plan, a plan B, C, D, E, and F.