Pregnant Dental Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourpointohoh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm 24 and am applying to dental school in June for next fall's entering class. After just reading a very interesting article about women's fertility and how it starts to decline at around age 27, I began to get slightly worried. I am married, and my husband will be also going to dental school... Have you guys heard of women being pregnant in dental school? I heard that it is almost impossible in the first 2 years (not to conceive, just to actually have and take care of the baby :D )... but what about the last 2 years of school? I'm just curious... I know it won't kill me to wait until 30 or 31... but these things tend to worry me every now and then....

Thanks....

4.oo

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Good to see you on here again! Good question! I know a good percentage of dental students are married, but really never met anyone that was pregnant! I know that medical schools have a deaccelerated option for pregnant students and I'm sure dental schools will do the same to accomodate their students' need.

On a side note, did your hubby get into Nova for next fall? Is he my classmate next year? You never got back to me on that?!! :confused: :cool:

I had one classmate that was pregnant. Her daughter was born in March or April of the fourth year. Keep in mind that my classmate had been a RDH first and graduated first in the class so the classwork was fairly easy for her!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 2 classmates that became pregnant, one during the 2nd and the other during our fourth year.

None of them graduated with me. I hard one came back right after my graduation while the other never made it.

Being a mother is more than a full time job. I think you should consider having it as soon as possible (since sooner you don't have to deal with patients) or having your baby once you are done. We are on the 21st century and you are in a low risk range all the way up to early 30s.

Just my US$0.02

Rafael C. Guerra

Hi! I saw this topic and felt the need to join in on the discussion.

I actually am married and we are expecting our first baby any day now. Although I didn't think I would have a baby while going to dental school, I am glad that my baby will be born before actually starting in the fall.

Since I am 25, I was also worried about the age thing since I will be 29 when I graduate. I think that it definitely won't be easy but if you have the support of a great husband who is understanding of the demands of dentistry and motherhood AND support of family then it will work out.

The dentist I shadowed had her first baby in her third year at Baylor and she actually graduated in the top of her class and kept improving even with the baby.

Hope this helps! :)

One girl a year ahead of me had 3 kids while in dental school. 4 guys became fathers in my class and one girl just got pregnant and they all are graduating on time.