Pregnant during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1poqhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I just recently discovered I'm pregnant and due the end of July 2013. I also have already been ramping up my residency applications. My dream has always been to do a residency so that I can teach afterwards. My other dream has always been to have a family! I am really happy about this, but thinking I may just want to apply for some community/hospital staff positions and possibly consider residency next year? I also couldn't lie if I were to get any interviews which would probably make me a pretty undesirable candidate anyhow unless I could REALLY make up for it. I really don't know. I'm afraid if I don't do it this year, I will never be matched. But at the same time, I don't want to not be able to take at LEAST a couple of weeks off. The other part is that it is sooo early in the pregnancy right now, and if something were to happen I'd be pretty upset with myself for not applying. This is all a bunch of rambling, I just don't even know where to go for advice!

Anyone found themselves or a friend in this situation? What

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was pregnant during residency interviews and delivered in May. Started residency six weeks later. Then, I got pregnant again a little more than halfway through residency.

My advice is not to reveal your pregnancy during interviews, unless you just cannot hide it because you are already showing.

I don't see how you can have any sort of maternity leave during residency. July is pretty much a terrible time to deliver during that year. I don't see how that could work, TBH.

I don't see how you can have any sort of maternity leave during residency. July is pretty much a terrible time to deliver during that year. I don't see how that could work, TBH.

You really can't without extending your training. I mean... maybe some people are super heroes and can come back after 2 weeks, but most women will not be able to do that.

I think it's possible, but extremely difficult and would take a strong person and the right program. I've worked with 2 residents who were pregnant during their programs or leading up to them. I think your best bet would be a program that already knows you. They would be less likely to judge you based on the pregnancy and might even be flexible with starting a little late. I would seriously consider how intense the programs are. Make sure you're not signing up for a year you won't get through.

You really can't without extending your training. I mean... maybe some people are super heroes and can come back after 2 weeks, but most women will not be able to do that.
I took 13 weeks and was glad to have each and every one of them (here comes Z telling me I'm screwing it up for my employer). I cannot imagine anything less than 6 weeks, physically, it's so demanding. Not to mention being away from your baby that soon. I never thought I would be like that but I am, so OP don't bank on being a certain kind of mother because you never know.

if it were me, I would not pursue a residency but knowing 1) what it was like to do a residency 2) what it was like to be a first time mom. I cannot imagine trying to do both at the same time. With residency lasting only one year, missing that much time is not really possible.

I took 13 weeks and was glad to have each and every one of them (here comes Z telling me I'm screwing it up for my employer). I cannot imagine anything less than 6 weeks, physically, it's so demanding. Not to mention being away from your baby that soon. I never thought I would be like that but I am, so OP don't bank on being a certain kind of mother because you never know.

if it were me, I would not pursue a residency but knowing 1) what it was like to do a residency 2) what it was like to be a first time mom. I cannot imagine trying to do both at the same time. With residency lasting only one year, missing that much time is not really possible.

Yeah her timing is rough because she is due in July... Does she just start late or start 7/1 and then take six weeks off? Either way she will have to extend her training. And revealing this up front would definitely impact her chances of matching.