This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SubstanceK

Student Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Advice on patient cases for residency interview? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats! Was this for a PGY1? If it was could you tell me how you were notified and what they told you.... just trying to know what to expect

It was in an email for a PGY1 and they mentioned there would be a patient case.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! I was so excited when I got my first interview, it's such a good feeling hehe :)

The patient cases I had on my PGY-1 interviews were pretty straightforward. I had a warfarin reversal case, a UTI case, a CAP case, and a diabetes case. They're trying to see your thought process as much as they're looking to see how much you know. But I wouldn't stress and try studying beforehand, if you've gotten this far and you're going for a residency, you've covered whatever is going to be on that patient case. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! I was in the middle of lunch in a restaurant and literally jumped up out of my seat lol now that I think about it ...it was definitely embarrassing but I was just too happy. You are so right, it is such a good feeling and one that I did not expect to happen so early. Thanks for the info. From what I've heard a lot of people say that it is major disease states (similar to what you described) and really the program seeing your thought process. How have you been enjoying residency thus far and what advice do you have about interviewing in general?

I was in the middle of rotations when I got my first interview invite; I was on cloud nine the rest of the day, haha (the only feeling that surpassed that was when I actually matched--I'm excited to see everyone's reactions when that time comes! It's going to feel like forever until then, though!)

From my experiences and from what my RPD and preceptors have said, interviews are a lot about seeing how well you fit in the program. It's a nerve-wracking experience, but the programs where you're the least nervous and where you get along really well with the people end up being where you do the best, regardless of how well you prepare your answers. My program in particular was looking for personality on the interview day, since on paper most people look the same.

I'd definitely look into those 'common residency interview question' documents online and come up with scenarios for the major ones. Only a few programs deviated from those types of questions, and you can tailor your answers to other questions to make them fit the weird questions sometimes.

I’ve also seen Vanco dosing cases and anticoag cases

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are these types of questions similarly likely to appear in community or ambulatory care/outpatient rotations?

Are these types of questions similarly likely to appear in community or ambulatory care/outpatient rotations?
the type of case depends on the type of residency program, so expect topics that are more community/ambulatory based for such residencies.

Do programs tell you ahead of time if there are cases involved? Or is it expected to be woven into the interview?

You should anticipate clinical questions at any residency interview. ID, anticoag, etc. and general patient counseling are all fair game for an acute care PGY-1 in my book.

Even if they made your aware of them ahead of time, how would that change your preparation?

I believe I was always notified when I had a patient case, but you can't really prepare for it honestly.