Pregnant while in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackjewel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everbody,
Iam starting this thread for all those doctors who aspire to go to Dental school or are going to go to dental school shortly.Iam sure family is one of the major concern for all the women who are in their late twenties or early thirties while going to dental school or are already in the school for two years. So I would request all the doctors to post their view about how streeful it is to take care of the baby in the dental school and more importantly the college policy regarding the pregnancy disabilty leave for th 2 year intenational dental program.One concern have here is how long after you join the program can you take off for pregnancy.So guys,Please post ur views.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everbody,
Iam starting this thread for all those doctors who aspire to go to Dental school or are going to go to dental school shortly.Iam sure family is one of the major concern for all the women who are in their late twenties or early thirties while going to dental school or are already in the school for two years. So I would request all the doctors to post their view about how streeful it is to take care of the baby in the dental school and more importantly the college policy regarding the pregnancy disabilty leave for th 2 year intenational dental program.One concern have here is how long after you join the program can you take off for pregnancy.So guys,Please post ur views.

Let me start off by saying that I dont have a baby. But I have seen my friend go thru a preganancy and have a baby while at dental school in an international program. I won't kid you about it being easy. It is not. But most programs have made provisions for pregnancies, so once it is confirmed, program director is the best person to talk to. They will help regarding time off, how to finish the requirements on time etc.

My friends says to just take each day as it comes.
Of course if you have child care it really lessens the worry.

Thank you for taking time to post.I would encorage all the doctors who have knowledge regarding this to post their views as it will be helpful for other student doctors who aspire to oin the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for taking time to post.I would encorage all the doctors who have knowledge regarding this to post their views as it will be helpful for other student doctors who aspire to oin the program.[

I'm in a program in Buffalo dental school...and I don't see a way of having children during dental school, at least in this school, It is very demanding and I'm hardly going through it with a husband(who is very helpful). I don't want to discourage you, but from my point of view..you need a lot of time if you want to raise a family, while in dental school you'll hardly have a whole weekend to enjoy.

My school allows you to take a year off. It depends on your school. You could also try deferring your admission for a year. Hope this helps. Good luck

I have been accepted in UIC.Can somebody tell me UIC'S Policy on the pregnancy disability leave. Thanks in advance

I have been accepted in UIC.Can somebody tell me UIC'S Policy on the pregnancy disability leave. Thanks in advance

Congrats!!
If you are already pregnant speak to the program director. There is no escaping that conversation.
Also search their website for student handbook. There **should be something.