pregnant while taking the boards

Started by bhop
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bhop

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone taken the Peds Boards while pregnant? Hubby and I want to start a family but I am also starting a fellowship in July and and would be taking the boards in October. I don't want to keep putting it off but I don't want to be overwhelmed either. Anyone have any experience with this type of situation?? =D
 
Hi bhop,

I cannot speak to taking the peds boards, but I took both step 1 and 2 while pregnant (I realize these are probably not comparable, but its the most I can offer). I honestly think it should be fine and you shouldn't postpone a family for this reason. That being said, I definitely would suggest if you can time it (ha, timing a baby is not easy) the ideal window is second trimester. I took the step 1 with my first when I was about 23 weeks and thought it was really good timing. First trimester I would've been too exhausted to deal with much of anything and third trimester I just cannot imagine sitting for that long (not to mention the need to use the bathroom frequently). I hope someone replies who has taken the peds boards so they will be more helpful but I wanted to give whatever advice I could. Good luck!