Pregnant while taking Written boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r-doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with taking the written boards while pregnant? I don't want to put off pregnancy but I don't want to overwhelm myself either

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a particular reason why you would want to get pregnant during the first year of practice + written boards + oral boards? Can you wait a year?

one of my residency pals did oral boards at about 35 weeks. i thought she was nutso. fortunately she already lived in Chicago....

Members don't see this ad :)
I was about 7 months pregnant when I took the written boards - doable but you have to have a dedicated study plan and not let feeling tired from pregnancy stop you. So it was harder, but doable. I delayed my oral boards because it was actually much harder studying for the oral boards with all the responsibilities of a newborn.

I was about 7 months pregnant when I took the written boards - doable but you have to have a dedicated study plan and not let feeling tired from pregnancy stop you. So it was harder, but doable. I delayed my oral boards because it was actually much harder studying for the oral boards with all the responsibilities of a newborn.
I can only imagine. That would be very tough.

I took my oral boards at the end of my second trimester. I agree that it would be preferable to take the boards pregnant than with a new baby.

Thanks everyone!! I know it would be tough, but I'm glad to hear from others who have done it.

I prepped for the written boards pregnant with plan to take them, then had my baby and postponed for a year. (boards were scheduled when I was 2 weeks postpartum)

Happy with my decision. No big deal to put it off for a year, and I found my first year as an attending helped me.

Cheers. PM me if you have questions/ need support.

Just FYI, if the November test date is within 6 weeks of your estimated due date, you can submit a letter to ABEM requesting alternate test date. Granted, they required I submit proof via my OB/GYN. Not only did they let me do this, but they are letting my husband (also an EM grad) do this as well.

Currently 36.5 weeks pregnant and taking my written boards early on Thursday (eek)... My EDD was 11/7, and given that it is my first pregnancy, I would have probably delivered within 5 or so days of the actual test. Finishing residency in my First/Second trimester has been way more difficult than finding time to study late in my third tri...