Prelim Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krafty

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now...before I get kicked around by categorical IM candidates, let me assert that I do have a strong interest in internal medicine...just not as a career.

I think a strong base in medicine is necessary for any specialy, even surgery (though surgeons rarely think so).

Is there anybody else in this forum that is interested with preliminary/transitional program reviews?

I am actually applying to Anesthesiology, but I wanted to find out more about what other (interested) people think of preliminary medicine versus transitional year.

Otherwise I wish everybody best of luck in the match. Last I checked with my dean, the NRMP algorithm gave slight advantage to students over programs (according to studies I have not seen).

Cheers

P.S. While this is not the thread - my personal experience is that it is to our advantage to send out ERAS information as early as
possible. I send mine out on 9/2 and finished adding programs yesterday. I have already been invited to 2 interviews (one anesthesia, on prelim medicine) without any LORs.
;)

Members don't see this ad.

There have been a couple of threads about this topic in the general residency forum, if you want to start your search there. Bascially, as an anesthiologists, I guess that it's up to you what you want to get out of your prelim year. Personally, I think that you will learn more during a prelim medicine year since knowing internal medicine will be important in your management of inpt and outpt anesthesiology, but transitional year has the advantage of letting you see surgery and ob/gyn which of course are more a part of anesthesiology. I'm sure that there are some rigorous, well taught transitional programs out there but I've heard that many of them are lax, similar to third year in style, so I would expect that you wouldn't learn as much doing those types of programs as you would in a prelim year of medicine.