Prelim Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wsssssssssssup

I guess this willl benefit all of us M4's so if any of you residents/faculty could chime in it would be great.

I'm just concerned. Say I signed up for Prelim Medicine at institutions a b c d e f. Furthermore, say I dont match into Anesthesiology this year.

Do I still get to do my Prelim Medicine year. What's more....say I dont get into Anesthesiology the following year, so I am basically like F#$k it, i'm just going to do a medicine residency. In that case, would my Prelim Medicine year be counted toward/ equivalent to an intern year in categorical medicine.

I knw that sounds confusing. But its just that, suppose I dont get into Gas and I end up going into pulmonary or something. Would I end up having done 2 intern years? One as a prelim med guy and one as a categorical med guy.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez...i hope all this is hypothetical cuz i really wanta get in this year!

Members don't see this ad.

ThinkFast007 said:
wsssssssssssup

I guess this willl benefit all of us M4's so if any of you residents/faculty could chime in it would be great.

I'm just concerned. Say I signed up for Prelim Medicine at institutions a b c d e f. Furthermore, say I dont match into Anesthesiology this year.

Do I still get to do my Prelim Medicine year. What's more....say I dont get into Anesthesiology the following year, so I am basically like F#$k it, i'm just going to do a medicine residency. In that case, would my Prelim Medicine year be counted toward/ equivalent to an intern year in categorical medicine.

I knw that sounds confusing. But its just that, suppose I dont get into Gas and I end up going into pulmonary or something. Would I end up having done 2 intern years? One as a prelim med guy and one as a categorical med guy.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez...i hope all this is hypothetical cuz i really wanta get in this year!

Yes it does count. That is the advantage of doing a prelim med or surg vs. transitional year.

here's a scenario. say you match at a prelim year but not anesthesia. that means during the scramble you would be out of luck for those spots that have all 4 years combined. so think hard before you put your stamp on the prelim year. Just my two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, don't worry about it. If you're an American grad, you'll match. If you're an FMG who has done your rotations in the US, you'll match. If you're an FMG who has done no US rotations, you will have more trouble, but may match as well.

Also, the 4 year programs are currently the great minority. Unless you are severely bounded by location you'll find more 3 year programs.

Lonestar said:
here's a scenario. say you match at a prelim year but not anesthesia. that means during the scramble you would be out of luck for those spots that have all 4 years combined. so think hard before you put your stamp on the prelim year. Just my two cents
thanks...great point.

Thanks everyone...as usual this forum rocks!
back to studying.........................

2ndyear said:
First off, don't worry about it. If you're an American grad, you'll match. If you're an FMG who has done your rotations in the US, you'll match. If you're an FMG who has done no US rotations, you will have more trouble, but may match as well.

Also, the 4 year programs are currently the great minority. Unless you are severely bounded by location you'll find more 3 year programs.

I don't know what rock you've been hiding under, but anesthesia has gotten increasingly competitive over the past couple of years. And current talk among med students is that this year will by far be the most competitive year ever - based on number of applicants and quality of applicants. Of course, only time will tell for sure after the match statistics are released.

Etomidate said:
I don't know what rock you've been hiding under, but anesthesia has gotten increasingly competitive over the past couple of years. And current talk among med students is that this year will by far be the most competitive year ever - based on number of applicants and quality of applicants. Of course, only time will tell for sure after the match statistics are released.

yeah i'm getting this feeling from the HUGE interest in anes this year at my school too.

chicamedica said:
yeah i'm getting this feeling from the HUGE interest in anes this year at my school too.

I hear you on this one. It's kinda scary...just ppl out of the woodworks. And I love it when these formerly interested students in such things as radiology and ortho are now having a liking for Gas and state, "I am not doing it for the money, I really want to help people". :cool:

Air hostess where's my throw up bag.........................