Prelim spot at Big Name Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kardio

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe the general sentiment is: categorical > preliminary

Is it considered "better" to land a prelim spot (any residency) at Big Name Hospital, or a categorical spot at Small Community Hospital?

Or am I just completely not getting how this works?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve seen it on the match lists for several programs and wanted help assessing its value.

There isn't much value beyond it's better than not matching, but only slightly. Some of those will be people who matched a PGY-2 spot and are only doing the pre-lim year because it's required so they can move onto their actual residency. Radiology and anesthesia are fields that traditionally require intern years like that, although these days it's getting more and more common for the intern year to just be done at the same institution as the PGY-2 spot and is included in the original match.

Reactions: 2 users
There isn't much value beyond it's better than not matching, but only slightly. Some of those will be people who matched a PGY-2 spot and are only doing the pre-lim year because it's required so they can move onto their actual residency. Radiology and anesthesia are fields that traditionally require intern years like that, although these days it's getting more and more common for the intern year to just be done at the same institution as the PGY-2 spot and is included in the original match.

So it seems like prelim spots are for:
1. People who matched Prelim + PGY2 (at another institution) simultaneously (PGY2 likely being gas or rads)
2. People who matched Prelim only and will have to reapply at the end of intern year

And I think you’re also saying that, specifically in the second case, it’s preferable to get a categorical spot off the bat (regardless of the location)?

And I think you’re also saying that, specifically in the second case, it’s preferable to get a categorical spot off the bat (regardless of the location)?

Yes because it is more difficult to find a categorical spot after a pre-lim year.

Reactions: 1 user
I usually view pre-lim or transitional/TRI positions as equivalent to not matching.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe the general sentiment is: categorical > preliminary

Is it considered "better" to land a prelim spot (any residency) at Big Name Hospital, or a categorical spot at Small Community Hospital?

Or am I just completely not getting how this works?
Definitely categorical. My wife has a categorical spot at a big name and I have hung out with her co-interns (prelim + categorical). The prelims are basically on a yearly rental (applies to the cases that didn't match); they are expected to do the same clinical duties while applying for residency again/doing interviews (where's the time for that?). You can imagine that amount of stress that can add. Also, you may not match again! I've met 1-2 2nd year prelim students.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely categorical. My wife has a categorical spot at a big name and I have hung out with her co-interns (prelim + categorical). The prelims are basically on a yearly rental (applies to the cases that didn't match); they are expected to do the same clinical duties while applying for residency again/doing interviews (where's the time for that?). You can imagine that amount of stress that can add. Also, you may not match again! I've met 1-2 2nd year prelim students.

Wow - applying for residency a second time, during residency, only to hop from prelim to prelim sounds awful!

Even if there’s some silver lining to having Big Name Hospital on you C.V., or some networking opportunities, it does not seem to be desirable.

Thanks all responders for the feedback.