Prelim Success Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstu19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As someone who is going to be starting a surgery prelim year, I was wondering if anyone had good success stories of finding a categorical position within their institution? My PD stated it has happened before that their prelim interns found spots in other departments at the same university/hospital.

I'd love that to happen to me so that I don't have to reapply or go through the match again but I have no concept of how it would work or how to ingratiate myself to the department I would want to join.

Tips? Stories?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I started as a prelim at a big, well known program. there were 18 of us, most of us would have loved to have stayed on. in the end they kept one in surgery. i had heard they opened anesthesia spots for interested surgery prelims, but no one pursued that. its a tricky situation, because as a surgery intern you're obviously expected to be committed to that so i'd be careful about shopping yourself around to other specialties. I would figure out what you really want to do, and then talk to your PD.