Prelim Surg next step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDMD5

Reaction score
Is it better to try for a general surgery categorical position or go into another field such as OB from a prelim surg spot?

In a prelim surg residency now, but looking for what to do next year. Originally applied ortho and did not match. I am now looking to general surgery categorical or OB GYN. I am looking for advice on which to do since I know the prelim year already puts me at a disadvantage. USMLE STEP 1- low 230s, STEP 2- high 220s

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping to do OB and then go into urogyn or minimally invasive gyn
Ok.

Do you have any/can get any Ob-Gyn LORs?

Assuming your current program has an Ob-Gyn residency, your best chances will be there. Make it a point to approach your PD and their PD early one; if you have any elective time (many Prelim Surg programs do not), perhaps you can rotate on Ob-Gyn at your home program.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok.

Do you have any/can get any Ob-Gyn LORs?

Assuming your current program has an Ob-Gyn residency, your best chances will be there. Make it a point to approach your PD and their PD early one; if you have any elective time (many Prelim Surg programs do not), perhaps you can rotate on Ob-Gyn at your home program.

Thank you for the guidance! I was worried about showing OB interest to programs since I have none of that on my CV, but you make a great point with the importance of LOR!

Thank you for the guidance! I was worried about showing OB interest to programs since I have none of that on my CV, but you make a great point with the importance of LOR!
Assuming your CV is heavy with Ortho rotations and letters, you'll have to expect to answer "why OB?"

General Surgery is probably an easier sell for someone who didn't match into Ortho.

Are you not going to try for Ortho 1 more time?

Assuming your CV is heavy with Ortho rotations and letters, you'll have to expect to answer "why OB?"

General Surgery is probably an easier sell for someone who didn't match into Ortho.

Are you not going to try for Ortho 1 more time?

As much as it was my original dream, I don’t know how realistic it is, and I can’t afford to not match again :(
My hesitation with gen surg is the lifestyle. At least if I did urogyn or something on that path I could have more control of my schedule.

As much as it was my original dream, I don’t know how realistic it is, and I can’t afford to not match again :(
My hesitation with gen surg is the lifestyle. At least if I did urogyn or something on that path I could have more control of my schedule.

Lifestyle is good or bad in any specialty.

Gen surg is a whole lot closer to ortho than gyn.

Frankly, community practice GS isn't bad.

Keep in mind that most obgyn programs don't really produce the most technically adept surgeons.

I imagine that "lifestyle" choice won't feel as great when you're up at 3am delivering babies and thinking about femur fractures...