Prelim/Transitional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaeida8

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've mostly applied to 3 year programs, but I've also applied to a few 2-4 program and just received my first 2-4 interview invitation. How does the whole transitional/prelim thing work when applying to EM programs? Should I apply to some Prelim/TYs or scramble or what?????

Members don't see this ad.

jaeida8 said:
I've mostly applied to 3 year programs, but I've also applied to a few 2-4 program and just received my first 2-4 interview invitation. How does the whole transitional/prelim thing work when applying to EM programs? Should I apply to some Prelim/TYs or scramble or what?????

So if you do match at a 2-4 then you need to do something during yr 1. Your 2-4 program wont help much with this. That being said the prelim/TY programs that would be left might be less desireable. Residents have told me that when you put together your ROL if you are doing a 2-4 then they do a secondary match. So if my 1st choice is a 1-3 and I match then obviously I am set. If I dont and I match at my # 2 which is a 2-4 then my prelim/TY ROL would go into effect. Additionally, If my top 2 are 2-4 progs I CAN submit separate TY/Prelim ROL based on where I match. So lets say i want to be in the same city all 4 yrs..

I rank Cook County #1 then I put 4 TY progs after that on my secondary list
then I rank UAB # 2 I can put all the TYs in Birmingham there, or if I want to live in NYC for 1 yr then I can put them on that list.

I know this is a long answer but hopefully it answers your Q.

EctopicFetus said:
So if you do match at a 2-4 then you need to do something during yr 1. Your 2-4 program wont help much with this. That being said the prelim/TY programs that would be left might be less desireable. Residents have told me that when you put together your ROL if you are doing a 2-4 then they do a secondary match. So if my 1st choice is a 1-3 and I match then obviously I am set. If I dont and I match at my # 2 which is a 2-4 then my prelim/TY ROL would go into effect. Additionally, If my top 2 are 2-4 progs I CAN submit separate TY/Prelim ROL based on where I match. So lets say i want to be in the same city all 4 yrs..

I rank Cook County #1 then I put 4 TY progs after that on my secondary list
then I rank UAB # 2 I can put all the TYs in Birmingham there, or if I want to live in NYC for 1 yr then I can put them on that list.

I know this is a long answer but hopefully it answers your Q.

Arthur

That's completely correct. I matched a 2-4 program last year. I would strongly discourage planning on scrambling into a TY spot. There just aren't any/many that don't fill. Unless you're willing to spend a year doing prelim med or (even worse) prelim surgery, you need to apply to and interview at some TY programs.