prelim/TY --> IM PGY-2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manta

queen of yogurt
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys -

I'm currently a MS-3, and my husband is an intern - so I'll be an intern when he's PGY-3. I was told that a TY would be an option for me in order to get our schedules in sync. If I did this, I could apply for residency programs in the city that he ends up in for his fellowship, and we would start in a new city at the same time. Staying in the same city as my husband takes precedence over everything else, so this would be great.

So, just to complicate things, I'm 95% sure that I want to do IM. I spoke to my dean about this, and he said that I could do a TY, and then enter the match again to start at another program as a PGY-2. Now I'm wondering if I misunderstood him. Is it even possible to do a TY somewhere, and then go somewhere else for PGY-2, or would I need to start as an intern? Is this crazy?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys -

I'm currently a MS-3, and my husband is an intern - so I'll be an intern when he's PGY-3. I was told that a TY would be an option for me in order to get our schedules in sync. If I did this, I could apply for residency programs in the city that he ends up in for his fellowship, and we would start in a new city at the same time. Staying in the same city as my husband takes precedence over everything else, so this would be great.

So, just to complicate things, I'm 95% sure that I want to do IM. I spoke to my dean about this, and he said that I could do a TY, and then enter the match again to start at another program as a PGY-2. Now I'm wondering if I misunderstood him. Is it even possible to do a TY somewhere, and then go somewhere else for PGY-2, or would I need to start as an intern? Is this crazy?

Thanks! :)

After TY if you wanted to do Medicine, you'd have to start over as PGY1. If you did a PRELIM medicine year, you could enter as a PGY2, but your choices would be much more limited, and you can't find a PGY2 spot through the match. Of course if you did a prelim med year, you could still apply as a PGY1...

Thanks megacolon - that helps a lot. So if I get into a prelim program, I would need to hope for an empty PGY-2 spot in the city we choose, and then apply directly to that program for that spot?

And if that doesn't work, I could always start as an intern. My 5% sure specialty is preventive med, which requires a TY anyway. So that's definitely another option. Thanks again!

After TY if you wanted to do Medicine, you'd have to start over as PGY1. If you did a PRELIM medicine year, you could enter as a PGY2, but your choices would be much more limited, and you can't find a PGY2 spot through the match. Of course if you did a prelim med year, you could still apply as a PGY1...

This is not true. One of my classmates in my EM program did a transitional PGY-1 year, then an IM PGY-2 year, then went to work for 2 years in a rural ED, until she came to her senses and did an EM residency. It is contingent on what you do during your transitional year (since you can't do the same thing twice, but, also, to get enough IM areas in on your electives).