prelim versus transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessimai1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's getting to be a bit late for this but...
As I am filling out my ERAS prelim year apps I find transitional year programs. What are the differences between those, and if there is a diff, can we do PGY1 in a transitional year program. Also, in another thread someone mentioned looking under the prelim category on ERAS for the programs. Are these listed under IM or am I missing something. I see the transitional year category, but no prelim category. I would hate to miss out on one because I failed to seach both places.

Members don't see this ad.

jessimai1 said:
It's getting to be a bit late for this but...
As I am filling out my ERAS prelim year apps I find transitional year programs. What are the differences between those, and if there is a diff, can we do PGY1 in a transitional year program. Also, in another thread someone mentioned looking under the prelim category on ERAS for the programs. Are these listed under IM or am I missing something. I see the transitional year category, but no prelim category. I would hate to miss out on one because I failed to seach both places.

On ERAS prelim years are listed under Internal Medicine. Beware that some neuro programs want you to do a prelim year (which basically entails doing a medicine internship).

On the other hand a transitional year is a hodge podge of rotations (ie radiology, medicine, etc) and is not strictly just medicine