Preliminary Gen. Surg PGY 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Stephen902

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's my situation: I want to be a general surgeon. I've completed a pgy1 prelim position and done well. It's not looking too hot that I'm going to match into a categorical position this year. I'm hearing a lot about doing a pgy2 prelim year.

I want to get your guys thoughts on the pros and cons of this. I'll kick it off.

Pros:
  • 1. have not given up one what I want.
  1. 2. from what I understand, all my funding is still available for any residency I want in the future, so i'm not burning any bridges.
  1. 3. tiny chance I can slip into a pgy3 categorical position.

Cons:
  1. 1. probably I'll end up in this position next year and be forced into either research or a residency that is less competitive.
  • 2. it will be painful.

any thoughts?