Preliminary year for FMGs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am an FMG applying for ophthalmology this year. I wonder how many preliminary programs should I apply to to be safe? My steps' scores are 259/269/238, I have no multiple attempts and have 2 years of hands on US clinical experience in Ophtho. I know Transitional year is out of reach for FMGs but is preliminary medicine too?
Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Transitional Years as you alluded are very competitive and sought after by top students - mostly because it's a cushy internship usually in a nice part of the country. You will have absolutely no issues getting a preliminary medicine spot - there are so many around the country and you have solid stats. In fact, your stats seem good enough that it might be worth attempting to match your prelim spot at the same location as your Optho years (if you want to, of course).

Thank you for your prompt and encouraging response. I would assume that applying to 50 programs should be OK or should I be applying to more?
Chances of any IMG matching to Ophtho is slim that I do not want to apply to too many prelim. programs and lose money since my pockets are already emptied applying to every ophtho program but I do not want to be in a position where I match into ophtho and not have a prelim. position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your prompt and encouraging response. I would assume that applying to 50 programs should be OK or should I be applying to more?
Chances of any IMG matching to Ophtho is slim that I do not want to apply to too many prelim. programs and lose money since my pockets are already emptied applying to every ophtho program but I do not want to be in a position where I match into ophtho and not have a prelim. position.
You won't have to worry about that. You can always scramble into a GS prelim. I wouldn't apply to 50. But 20 is reasonable.

From what I ve seen and heard of... even with your stats getting optho would be very difficult... getting a prelim might not be as difficult but never take anything for granted as an FMG. Also I don't think its as easy as it use to be to "just scramble into a GS prelim".

From what I ve seen and heard of... even with your stats getting optho would be very difficult... getting a prelim might not be as difficult but never take anything for granted as an FMG. Also I don't think its as easy as it use to be to "just scramble into a GS prelim".
Agree with you about ophtho. I have been looking at current residents on prelim internal medicine programs and it appears mostly that they are US grads even at programs where most categorical medicine residents are IMGs. I will probably apply to some general surgery programs as well. How many medicine programs do you think is reasonable?

Agree with you about ophtho. I have been looking at current residents on prelim internal medicine programs and it appears mostly that they are US grads even at programs where most categorical medicine residents are IMGs. I will probably apply to some general surgery programs as well. How many medicine programs do you think is reasonable?
I did not mention that I am 5 years out of graduation since I completed ophtho residency back home and 2 years of US fellowship.