Preliminary year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetymd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the options exactly for prelim years for derm? i know this is gonna sound absurd, but is it at all possible to use a yr of pathology for the dermatology prelim yr?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard:

1) prelim surgery ---> you probably have to be insane to do this

2) prelim medicine ---> not a bad idea if you aren't the strongest applicant. A strong prelim medicine year can be useful when reapplying

3) transitional year ---> from what I hear, this is the cushiest year (usually). But if you aren't sure about your chances, I heard a TY doesn't look so good when re-applying

it's possible you could fit in some pathology electives in a TY

Members don't see this ad :)
TY's are seemingly the least work, but you'll have to do general surgery and OB/GYN again, usually. It really depends on the program. For instance, one of the programs for prelim medicine offered six months of true inpatient and call, and the rest were call-free months. They also allowed pathology, but no plastics.

hmm...going through ob/gyn and general surgery again don't seem like fun

TY's are seemingly the least work, but you'll have to do general surgery and OB/GYN again, usually. It really depends on the program. For instance, one of the programs for prelim medicine offered six months of true inpatient and call, and the rest were call-free months. They also allowed pathology, but no plastics.

that's not really true, it just depends on the program. i didn't have any months of surgery or ob/gyn.

It does depend upon the program, but in general you'll have to rotate through some sort of surgical specialty(s) again when doing a TY. There are few programs that make no distinction between med and ty, and are purely medical (such as Riverside, Columbus).:idea:

You can also do a prelim year in peds for most programs, which is what I am starting this week! I'm doing peds because I want to do a peds derm fellowship. I emailed every program I was applying to though to make sure it was ok, and there where only a few who said no. The only one I can remember now is Washington Hospital Center.