Preload vs. Afterload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRealDrZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I suck...
I must be a ***** because I seem to get these two things wrong all the time. I think I understand them and then I can't get any questions right about these subjects. Can someone please, please, please, PLEASE explain this very simple concept to this PEABRAINED student? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

To keep it simple...

AFterload = the pressure the heart pumps against... Essentially, it's equal to aortic pressure... Therefore, in HTN, the afterload is increased! Or in aortic stenosis, the afterload is increased!

Preload = ventricular filling. Thus, the more you fill the ventricles the greater the preloading! Venoconstriction, for example, preloads the heart.

I think if you keep these examples in fine, you'll be fine.

i also have a pea brain so this is how i think of it

as soon as i see those words i picture an aortic valve, and everything in front of it is the arterial stuff and everything behind is lungs and viens
so PREload is whats behind the aortic valve... all that stuff that just came from the lungs , its about to go through the aortic valve hence pre
and afterload, is all the bs the ventricle has to pump against (all the blood in front of it, or "behind" the aortic valve)

this makes a lot less sense once I write it, but it works for me
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey - I also don't get this very well

I (think I) understand preload and afterload but have a couple of questions.

I know aortic regurg causes increased afterload due to increased systolic BP, but i don't understand why. I always thought the BP would drop, as less blood is being pumped into the aorta (as more blood leaks back into the LV)

Also why does a mitral regurg cause a decrease in afterload?

Any simple explanations would be great!

Also why does a mitral regurg cause a decrease in afterload?

Afterload is what goes into the aorta and will give you pressure so when you pump the next time you also have to move that blood too.

So you try to pump blood but part of it goes back to the atria, not cool so now the amount of blood that actually whent to the Aorta is LESS, now when you try to pump the blood away from the heart you have LESS pressure to handle. and thats why in a mitral reg. you have a decrease afterload.

I hope I'm right but if not, please correct me.

I (think I) understand preload and afterload but have a couple of questions.

I know aortic regurg causes increased afterload due to increased systolic BP, but i don't understand why. I always thought the BP would drop, as less blood is being pumped into the aorta (as more blood leaks back into the LV)
Any simple explanations would be great!

Because the ventricle has more blood in it, will have to contract harder. wait this theory would explain an increase in preload not afterload:confused:

Dough