Prematch - aProgramDirector

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doowai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Following up on a previous thread, am I correct in understanding that a resident applicant could sign a prematch contract and not honor it - break it later by still participating in the match?

Wouldn't a program make it contractual that they can contact NRMP for and in behalf of the resident candidate, and withdraw them?

Would a PD know if someone who signed a prematch agreement did not withdraw from the match?

Would the popular kids still invite someone who broke a prematch contract to the cool kids parties?

Members don't see this ad.

Signing a prematch and not withdrawing from the match is a match violation. Doing so would potentially invalidate your match, get you kicked out of your prematch, and bring your medical career in the US to a rapid end.

The relevant text from the NRMP site is here:

2.4.1 Withdrawal by the Applicant

Independent applicants may withdraw from the Matching Program, but only if the NRMP receives their withdrawal request prior to the rank order list certification deadline through the Match Site Withdrawal screen for the Matching Program. Applicants who have accepted a residency position through any other national matching service or by agreement outside the Matching Program shall not rank a concurrent year residency position. If an applicant ranks a concurrent year position, he/she will be in breach of this Agreement and may be subject to the penalties described in Section 7.0.

In addition, programs can check whether you've withdrawn from the match, and many put that requirement directly in their prematch agreement (so if you don't do it, you've violated the contract).

So, DON'T DO THIS!

It is possible to, after signing one prematch agreement, be offered and sign another. You should then resign from your first prematch agreement. There is nothing illegal about this, and it's not a match violation (since you've withdrawn from the match). Some would agrue that it's unethical / unprofessional. Others would argue that you're simply taking a better offer.

It is possible to, after signing one prematch agreement, be offered and sign another. You should then resign from your first prematch agreement. There is nothing illegal about this, and it's not a match violation (since you've withdrawn from the match). Some would agrue that it's unethical / unprofessional. Others would argue that you're simply taking a better offer.

i didn't know this was possible but it certainly sounds unethical to me. I thought a contract was a contract? oh well...can a residency drop you after signing a prematch, i.e. they take a better offer?:eek:

i didn't know this was possible but it certainly sounds unethical to me. I thought a contract was a contract? oh well...can a residency drop you after signing a prematch, i.e. they take a better offer?:eek:

No, they can't.

I'm being a bit overly simplistic here.

Technically, when a student and a program sign a contract, it's binding on both of them -- the student agrees to be a resident and the program agrees to provide training.

If the student "breaks" the contract, the program could theoretically sue the student for "damages" -- however, it's technically very difficult to do and not terribly fruitful to sue someone who has big loans and no income. So, most programs will simply let someone go.

If a program were to break a contract like this, the student would have good cause to sue the program, and could argue for damages compensating for lost wages, etc. In addition, getting a bad name like this would be a disaster for the program in the future.

The bottom line is this: If you sign a contract, you really should stick with it and stop looking for another spot.

What would you think about the following situation:
Prematch offered and forced to make the decision on the interview day. Signed residency agreement by applicant only and didn't get the agreement signed by the other party (PD, CEO). The program didn't request to withdraw from the Match.

In the mean time got another, more attractive prematch offer. What to do?

Prematch offered and forced to make the decision on the interview day. Signed residency agreement by applicant only and didn't get the agreement signed by the other party (PD, CEO). The program didn't request to withdraw from the Match.

writing full sentences would be a nice concept wouldnt it?

I don't think what they did was reasonable at all. Any commitment should be bilateral; it doesn't sound like they were willing to give you one at the time. I'd ask them to make a commitment now or tear up the contract.

I think this shows why the match works, actually!

More seriously, you need to decide whether your ethical commitment to your first prematch outweighs your personal desire / career interests to your second.

??? I'm confused. So you dont have a contract on hand? What did you sign? And after you signed, you still went to interviews? If there's no contract in hand then go to the better program. I dont see any ethial issue if the PD of the first program was noncomittal in the first place. It's not that late in he season anyway. But for the record, my stance is, don't sign unless you'r sure.

??? I'm confused. So you dont have a contract on hand? What did you sign? And after you signed, you still went to interviews? If there's no contract in hand then go to the better program. I dont see any ethial issue if the PD of the first program was noncomittal in the first place. It's not that late in he season anyway. But for the record, my stance is, don't sign unless you'r sure.

I got prematch offer on the IV day so I was asked to sign both copies of agreement/contarct one for me one for them. I left with the contract in my hands but only with my signature. Thought I would receive signed copy from the program within 2 weeks. It didn't happend. Heard other people received similar "contracts" from the program. In the meantime I got prematch offer from the program I was interviewed at earlier. I don't know if what to do.