Signed Prematch Offer, want to withdraw and try match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nani20

Reaction score
Hi,

I received a prematch offer from an IM program with 24 hours to decide. I had no time to think this through, so I decided to accept and signed the contract. This was a very difficult decision for me because my top program of choice was elsewhere. I had contacted the other program (my top choice in rank) to see what they may say, but they only got back to me (with a positive response) after I had signed the contract. I have not withdrawn from NRMP match yet. Now, I am in this dilemma. On the one hand, I signed the contract for the prematch program. On the other hand, there is a good chance my top choice would rank me high. I would love to go back and not sign the contract and go for match. I am really concerned that breaching the contract may have consequences for me. What do you all think? Any input is appreciated. I am really anxious and I am not sure what to do. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. No matter how "positive" the response was from your top choice in the match, you cannot know whether you would actually match. If you turn down your contract, not only are you potentially in a legal mess for breach of contract, but you could wind up without a job entirely. Such is the risk of considering outside-the-match programs--open yourself up to more chances to get *a* job, but also can wind up with difficult decisions.

Furthermore, you committed a match violation by trying to "elicit interest" from a program. So be glad you weren't reported for that (thus far).

Reactions: 9 users
The consequences, if any, of withdrawing from your signed contract should be in the contract. I'd read it carefully.

As already mentioned, "positive responses" before the match can mean anything. I want the last person I match to be just as excited as the top person. I tend to try to be positive with everyone. You could end up with your top match, you could end up with nothing.

Two things remain very clear:
1. You can't keep this contract and try the match anyway, and then just resign if you match somewhere. That's a match violation and you're likely to lose everything.
2. You need to be content with the results of whatever decision you make.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi,

I received a prematch offer from an IM program with 24 hours to decide. I had no time to think this through, so I decided to accept and signed the contract. This was a very difficult decision for me because my top program of choice was elsewhere. I had contacted the other program (my top choice in rank) to see what they may say, but they only got back to me (with a positive response) after I had signed the contract. I have not withdrawn from NRMP match yet. Now, I am in this dilemma. On the one hand, I signed the contract for the prematch program. On the other hand, there is a good chance my top choice would rank me high. I would love to go back and not sign the contract and go for match. I am really concerned that breaching the contract may have consequences for me. What do you all think? Any input is appreciated. I am really anxious and I am not sure what to do. Thanks!
Ask yourself if you are willing to go unmatched to get the chance to go to this program...because that is the risk you take...or are you ok with matching further down on your list than where you would have ranked this prematch? Because that too is the risk you take.

sure the pre match place probably will be annoyed, not trust me they won’t have a problem replacing you... there are plenty of people who would jump at that spot.

how likely you are to match will depend on how many interview you had...only these 2 or a <5? It’s a bigger risk than of you have 15 places to rank.

you did have time...if you needed more time you could have asked them to give you more time ...they want you bad enough, they m/l would have given you another day.

Reactions: 1 user