premed at st. george

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

duc83

Hi everyone,

I am currently still waiting for my acceptance letter at St. George for the Premed program.

I have a couple of question about the school for those who are attending it right now. How is the premed program over there? what are the guaranteed that they offer to getting into medical school right after premed?

The reason I am asking this is because, I recently graduated from college and wanted to go to medical school. It has been a part of my life goal for the longest time. I will probably have to do 3 year of premed in the carribbean. And I just want to know what life is like over there. And if at all possible, if one of you upper classmen from overthere want a suite mate. I would be happy to fill that gap for you.

Members don't see this ad.

my only question is - does doing the premed program guarantee acceptance? If not, why go down to SGu? Cant you do your prereqs at your college and then apply straight to the MD program? My advice is to keep your options open and do your courses at a US school. That opens the possibility of being able to go into a US med school. Do your prereqs at SGU and you limit yourself to SGU

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. But i don't mind limiting myself to SGU. It's not that bad of a choice. I tried to stayed in the US. But i kind of like the school. I also got accepted to a D.O. school (NOVA). but really want an M.D. I understand that there is not alot of difference in M.D. and D.O. but I still want an M.D.

The premed over in SGU state that if i finish up there program with a 3.0 or 3.2 and pass there comprehensive test, I am automatically in. I believe I can handle that. Beside, I think i need a refresher on some of the stuff I already took, so it will be a great experience for me.

Another reason that I chosed SGU, is because of the isolation. It will help me stay focus on school, since medical school is hard.

I know alot of people will down SGU because of its status as a carribbean school, but in the end... All i know is that an M.D. is an M.D. ,,,, and that the chance if your patient really care if you are from the US. or not is slim to none. If you are a good doctor and give them the best care in the world, then there will not be a problem.

Everyone on here pretty much have the same goal. If you can offer good supportive comment that can help me achieve the same thing that you may have already or will achieve, I would greatly appreciated. If you are going to bash my future school, then please save the bashing for me, when i am taking their finals and complain about how hard it is ;) .... anyway hope to hear more comment about the school,, (living conditions, loans, money problem, import computer fees, and academic life over there)...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got into a DO school, I would assume you had the pre-reqs already done. Just apply straight to SGU Med. If you got into a DO school, you should have a good shot at SGU.

I agree buddy.. But unfortunately, the Medical program won't accept me and I will have to attend to the premed third year before the actual starting of medical school.

You got accepted to NOVA but not to SGU due to their pre-med requirements? I don't understand how that can happen. Can you be more detailed as to what classes you need? If you are almost done, why not finish the class(es) you need and then apply to SGU for MD, bypassing the pre-med.

I have 1 more class remaining to finish my pre-med. I did not do too well on my MCAT and I might also be joining the Caribbean trend soon, but that is definitely not my first option.

the premed program is "part" of the medical program

i say "part" because for students taht complete the full premend program which goes towards a degree in biomedical science the fourth year of the premed program is the first year of med school

so going to medical school means you were promoted to the final year given that you passed the PMSCE (equiv to MCAT....sort of) and have the required GPA when i was there min was 3.5 I believe to be promoted up.