Premed at UNCCH vs UNCC

ChessTyrant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering where I should be pursuing the Premed Route. Im currently a HS senior, and want to pursue a BA in Biology (More time for research/volunteering), but am not sure whether UNCC or UNCCH (accepted to both) has a better chance of me getting into med school. Things I am concerned about are GPA at each, course rigor, course rigor's effect on MCAT scores, etc. I also know Biology is a much more popular major at UNCCH, and wonder if this will affect level of competition between students. Student population is about 2000 less at UNCC, I think.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering where I should be pursuing the Premed Route. Im currently a HS senior, and want to pursue a BA in Biology (More time for research/volunteering), but am not sure whether UNCC or UNCCH (accepted to both) has a better chance of me getting into med school. Things I am concerned about are GPA at each, course rigor, course rigor's effect on MCAT scores, etc. I also know Biology is a much more popular major at UNCCH, and wonder if this will affect level of competition between students. Student population is about 2000 less at UNCC, I think.

Thanks for your time!

It doesn't particularly matter which institution you do your pre-requisites at. All that matters is that you do your absolute best to do well in every course; a string of A's, no matter where you get them (assuming you're getting them at a four year college) will give you a great chance of getting into any medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
UNC-CH premed will absolutely wreck your GPA if you're not ready for it. Most of the prereqs will have C/C- averages, which is fairly average for schools like UNC-CH. You'll have a better shot at UNC-CH for medical school if you go there and make the most it but otherwise, go to UNCC and do well, get good ECs and you can at least get into ECU comfortably.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UNC is the #4 public college in the nation. It's going to be hard as ****.

Give UNCC a shot. It's a great environment and I loved my year there (transferred to state). If you want personal advice don't hesitate to PM.

edit: I'm not saying you're not smart enough for UNC. I'm saying that the in-state schools (ECU, WF, UNC, Duke, Campbell, etc) will look at you the same--as will all other SOMs--if you got a 3.75 from UNCC or UNC, but it will be MUCH easier to succeed and EXCEL at UNCC. Not to mention the proximity to CMC-University.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
^ true. Also smaller institutions tend to have very good professors - take that into account because a good professor can make even a sucky subject interesting. If you're interested and engaged, then you tend to get higher grades.

At the risk of my anonymity UNCC is great. The chem department is small you will definitely get an intimate relationship with the professors if you make an attempt

There is plenty of opportunity at UNCC to get ECs. The CMC is the attached hospital and is receptive to volunteers.

Pm me if you want any details.

Last edited: