premed help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenzmed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! this is my first post on here and I just need some good solid advice. I am currently a sophomore majoring in health science. I am super behind on all my pre-reqs because i switched my major this year and I'm just struggling to cram all of my pre-reqs!! I am sitting at 3.2 GPA which is significantly low for a pre-med student, but im hoping to redeem myself in these next two years. I have a few EC under my belt but not much. I'm a URM and I speak 2 languages (dont know if that helps at all) I find myself studying a lot and not having enough time for ANYTHING else! How does everyone have everything together? shadowing, volunteer, involvement in clubs and maintaining a social life?? My ultimate goal is going to medical school (most likely DO) what would be a good GPA and MCAT score to have a good chance of being accepted? any general advice helps!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hispanic and currently South Carolina
As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you should receive interviews at DO schools if you apply broadly. For your state MD schools you need to increase your GPA to 3.4 and a MCAT of 508 or higher.

Reactions: 1 user
You aren’t in a race to get everything done. Take your time and do it right. Plan for a gap year or two so you can work on your ECs. Don’t take the MCAT until all of your prereqs are completed and only when you are scoring at or above your target goal on FL practice tests. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you should receive interviews at DO schools if you apply broadly. For your state MD schools you need to increase your GPA to 3.4 and a MCAT of 508 or higher.
Thank you so much, this definitely gives me some hope

You aren’t in a race to get everything done. Take your time and do it right. Plan for a gap year or two so you can work on your ECs. Don’t take the MCAT until all of your prereqs are completed and only when you are scoring at or above your target goal on FL practice tests. Good luck.
You're right. I definitely need to incorporate a gap year to make sure I do things right. Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user