Premed Journey help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT1998

Reaction score
I am a former university student-athlete that is 2 years away from completing an athletic therapy degree (going into year 5/6). However, at this point, I could finish a bachelor's degree this year if I switch to another major. The reason I am thinking of switching is that I don't want to risk my GPA (3.96) AND since the next two years will be intensive with clinical, and practical hours on top of our full course load, there will be limited time for me to engage in non-academic activities to boost my CV. There is a downward trend in GPAs for the postgraduate aspect of this degree which is the last two years I entering. Therefore, I am looking for advice as to whether I should switch my major and finish up this year and use a gap year to prepare for the MCAT and boost my CV. Or continue in AT for the next two years. I know AT can give me a more solid backbone in case medicine doesn't work out right away and it is something I truly enjoy so it is a hard decision

Members don't see this ad.

Entirely depends on what your goals are. The reasons you articulated for switching path is reasonable in that you preserve an excellent GPA, allow time to prepare for the mcat, and would likely be able to matriculate to medical school sooner. The downside of course is losing out on the AT degree that may be useful down the line if you decide against medicine. Either option could work, but GPA and mcat are truly important factors in admissions and as such I might lean towards the path that preserves your gpa.

Thank you for your response! I agree that having a high GPA and good MCAT scores should be a priority. I just hope that my GPA doesn't drop in AT because I do believe it will be more helpful down the line if all else fails