Premed movies!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Premed movies: Gross anatomy!! I saw it on sunday morning and it was a great movie. I thought that the anatomy instructor was pretty cool to look out for her student(don't remember his name, but he had to research the case for extra credit) everyone should watch this movie. A favorite of mine next to Patch Adams!!! :love:
what did you guys think of Gross Anatomy?? :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Gross anatomy is also one of my favorites. It's a great movie and I think that all medical students or premeds should watch it because that will be them one day.

Tara Reid's boyfriend in Van Wilder.....I knew some tools like that guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
The making of a doctor. Made by NOVA (not NSU). Profiles several students through Harvard medical school and into residency. It is kind of depressing and almost scared me away from medicine. The med students are a little dramatic but then again you know their gunners so I guess it is expected.

If you get a chance watch Cider House Rules with Tobey McGuire. :thumbup:

raptor5 said:
The making of a doctor. Made by NOVA (not NSU). Profiles several students through Harvard medical school and into residency. It is kind of depressing and almost scared me away from medicine. The med students are a little dramatic but then again you know their gunners so I guess it is expected.

Is that the one where they talk about "the new path"?

I have watched Gross Anatomy numerous times and actually found it Walgreens Drug store this week and bought it.

It's a great movie.

Flatliners is THE reason i went into medicine.

danwsu said:
Dude I love your avatar!

It was fun reducing it to the size of a postage stamp too :mad:

raptor5 said:

It's called "So You Wanna Be A Doctor" and is narrated by Doogie Howser (thats how old it is). I found a copy in our pre-med office and highjacked it for awhile. It really is very entertaining to watch and it was apart of a 10-year project that follows the students through residency and as doctors. Wouldn't mind watching the other two tapes but they are kinda expensive.

Im surprised nobody has mentioned patch adams. At your cervix!!

They had the Nova "Making of a Doctor" series at the school library... I checked it out and recommended it to all my lab students who were thinking about med school. It's about Harvard students... they're pretty intense, but about what you would expect. The documentary is very interesting and absolutely worth your time checking out.

Members don't see this ad :)
CoverMe said:
They had the Nova "Making of a Doctor" series at the school library... I checked it out and recommended it to all my lab students who were thinking about med school. It's about Harvard students... they're pretty intense, but about what you would expect. The documentary is very interesting and absolutely worth your time checking out.

That was an awesome series. I really lost it when that one intern/resident's patient died -- the older Scottish man who was supposed to either wear his kilt for her or teach her soccer when he got better. It also showed other pathways the students took, like that one woman who ended up not taking the rest of her boards and did some kind of corporate work instead. The film is a little dated, but I still recommend it to both premeds and med students. =)

-N

1. Patch Adams
2. Gross Anatomy
3. Doc Hollywood
4. Flatliners
5. Bringing Out the Dead

Watch this one:

"Getting In"

Premed students will do anything to get into medical school...including murder

:scared:

ASDIC said:
Watch this one:

"Getting In"

Premed students will do anything to get into medical school...including murder

:scared:

I seriously wouldn't put it past some of the more serious gunners I have seen...

gee and to think at one time I was shocked to see them take out key books in the library, remove material from reserves, Rip out pages in review books, taking the stack of handouts for the class so no one else could get them, ripping down answer sheets from a class billboard so no one could use them to study for a cumulative final, sabotaging orgo labs, sabotage on microbiology labs, kissing up to TA's, talking smack to professors and Ta about other students, and finally ratting out other students that after "accidently" looking at their tests they were graded wrong and they should have their grades reduced or theirs raised. :rolleyes: Yes...I have seen these all and thats why I seriously wouldn't put it past one of these neurotic types....

In that case, "gunners" would be a pun.

it happened to me once.

I was arguing with my TA about something in my orgo lab. This gunner girl comes up and didnt like me arguing with the TA. So she tells the TA to lower my grade because I am arguing with the TA. And the TA is like I should lower your grade!

OSUdoc08 said:

yeah gunners might commit murder....lol

OSUdoc08 said:

classic.....just classic

My "med" movies I liked were most of what was already mentioned.....Gross Anatomy and Patch Adams are up there....

I don't think people have talked about John Q...not so much medical but it makes you think.

Seriously though, I think that my inpiration from media in medicine is not so much movies. I watch a lot of Trauma, Medline, Hopkins 24/7, The Residents, Resident Life, Critical Hour, Paramedics, Super Surgery, Venom ER and shows like that. Typically they are on TLC and Discovery Health. Not so much movies but I see a crap load of stuff on there and everytime I think gee...I'm going to know a lot of that medicine within the next 10 years! Damn!

a great movie called, " stitches", circa 1985. Truly a life changing movie, with a little funny too. ok , maybe alot of funny. :D

hey dr!_ nick! I mentioned Patch Adams in the original post. like I said Patch is my favorite then Gross!! I spent the weekend at my aunts and I watched Discovery Health everyday! the stuff they show on those shows are just wonderful. I think I would rather have discovery health channel over TLC, but both would be just great!

AmyB, you found gross anatomy at walgreens? I will be at walgreens in 10 minutes. :laugh: :laugh: I have searched everywhere for the Premed type movies and the only two I found were patch and getting in. I will continue until I have a new edition of movies in my library!!!! :D

Justin,

You're president of OSU COM's ASMA chapter already? How did you do that?

raptor5 said:

as soon as I read this today I went over to the UT medical library and took out a copy....took it to my cubicle and watched it.

WOW.....that was an AWESOME show. Its so wierd how they followed them for all those years and you get to see it. Its also interesting to see how cynical and how worn they become too. Its got to be one of the more interesting shows I have seen dealing with medicine.

Amy B said:
I have watched Gross Anatomy numerous times and actually found it Walgreens Drug store this week and bought it.

It's a great movie.

I BOUGHT IT ON DVD ON AMAZON.COM FOR $1.98!!!

1.98!!!!! what in the world is going on? I gotta catch up with life, I'm missing out on everything. actually I am afraid to order things on line because of the personal information you have to use. I guess if others are using it then it has to be slightly ok, right? :confused: well guys I gotta go get some fillings replaced, I'll get back with you later. :thumbup:

Online ordering is safe. The one time an unauthorized purchase was made, Bank of America refunded every cent to me.
Freaking Columbia House!! They billed me without ordering. They are evil. And caused my account to overdraft
:mad:

NDESTRUKT said:
Justin,

You're president of OSU COM's ASMA chapter already? How did you do that?

I was a member of pre-med AMSA, and my school didn't have a chapter, so they asked that I start one, since every other school in our region (Texas & Oklahoma) had a chapter.

dcratamt said:
If you get a chance watch Cider House Rules with Tobey McGuire. :thumbup:

NO! BOO!!! Read the book! It's MUCH better :)

Gross Anatomy: Why is it that so many premeds have seen this? My dad bought it randomly from some bargain bin in Walmart one day :D Not too bad
Patch Adams: Some really good stuff in there, but considerably cheesy :p
Flatliners: That suspense/horror movie...you're kidding right? :confused:
Cider House Rules: Didn't like this movie for about a trillion reasons, but I'll save you from my rambling ;)

Some people might think it's kind of slow or boring, but I thought Wit was good

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243664/

and I've had the Doctor suggested to me, but haven't seen it...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101746/

Thats the name of the movie (wit). Ive seren it twice about 2 years ago on HBO and loved it. It was kind of slow, but it was very thoughtful portrayal of hospitals/doctors/death and dying from the patients' perspective. I dont know, It just kind of struck a chord with me. I highly recommend it. Also thanks for title, finally I actually know the name of the movie and dont have to describe it as "the movie with the english professor who has cancer"...thanks again.

Phil Anthropist said:
Flatliners: That suspense/horror movie...you're kidding right? :confused:
LOL, I was kidding about my flatliners comment. I was hoping somebody would call me on it, but no one ever did. :p

Robz said:
I seriously wouldn't put it past some of the more serious gunners I have seen...

gee and to think at one time I was shocked to see them take out key books in the library, remove material from reserves, Rip out pages in review books, taking the stack of handouts for the class so no one else could get them, ripping down answer sheets from a class billboard so no one could use them to study for a cumulative final, sabotaging orgo labs, sabotage on microbiology labs, kissing up to TA's, talking smack to professors and Ta about other students, and finally ratting out other students that after "accidently" looking at their tests they were graded wrong and they should have their grades reduced or theirs raised. :rolleyes: Yes...I have seen these all and thats why I seriously wouldn't put it past one of these neurotic types....

Things like this make me glad I didn't go to a premed haven for undergrad.

Boomer said:
Tara Reid's boyfriend in Van Wilder.....I knew some tools like that guy.

:laugh: :laugh: That guy's great.
"Northwestern...."

Something the Lord Made. It is on HBO, if you have On Demand it is currently available in the HBO section.

raptor5 said:
Something the Lord Made. It is on HBO, if you have On Demand it is currently available in the HBO section.

I agree. I highly recommend this movie! :thumbup:

Lari

Awakenings.... Anybody? I watch the whole movie anytime it's on TV. I absolutely love it.

haven't seen awakenings yet but I will keep my eyes open for it.

I second the mention of "Wit". excellent movie. Shows you what kind of doctor NOT to be. Kinda sad too...

well I did get a chance to see awakenings and it was off the hook!! :D this is a great movie and I would refer it to anyone!!

ASDIC said:
it happened to me once.

I was arguing with my TA about something in my orgo lab. This gunner girl comes up and didnt like me arguing with the TA. So she tells the TA to lower my grade because I am arguing with the TA. And the TA is like I should lower your grade!

LOL. You should have tea-bagged her right there on the spot.

I agree that Wit is a great movie, it's a required viewing in our med. ethics class.

hossofadoc said:
I agree that Wit is a great movie, it's a required viewing in our med. ethics class.

I'm so glad other people enjoyed this movie too! :D :thumbup:

I saw it in an undergrad med ethics class. Since then, I've suggested it to several of my pre-med/med student friends. :thumbup:

CommandoRabbit said:
Awakenings.... Anybody? I watch the whole movie anytime it's on TV. I absolutely love it.

That is a great movie.

The guy in Van Wilder is the best stereotype for some Pre-Meds I knew

WIT!!! i've been trying to figure out the name of that show for a while now...my wife and i watched it while she was in the hospital on bed rest (long story)...i actually cried...and i'm not much of a crier...
definitely would suggest that show to everyone!!!