Premed now Predental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uvaGirL07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently decided that I want to pursue the predental route rather than the premed route. However, I have already spent the time and money preparing for the MCAT. My question is... will dental schools be able to see that I have taken the MCAT? I don't want them to get the wrong idea and think that I chose dentistry because I failed in medicine (which is not the case). I figured I might as well take the MCAT since I can't get a full refund for the exam (it costs $210 to take!)... but if dental schools CAN see that I have taken it, then I may reconsider. Anyone know...? :eek: Thank youuuuu!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

they will not see that you've taken the MCAT. There are application questions that ask if you have every applied to any other professional health schools, but if you haven't applied yet, then you can honestly answer NO and the admissions people will be oblivious to you ever being a premed, unless you mention it in the personal statement

ohhhh ok. thank you!!! :oops:

I'm very new to dentistry, but the more and more I read about the profession, the more I am attracted to it. One of my main concerns about medical school was the time commitment. Four years of medical school plus four years of residency just seemed a bit overwhelming especially for a girl like myself who dreams about having a large family. The dental profession seems to add more flexibility to one's schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a question when you register for the DAT that asks if you've taken the MCAT or any other exams like it.

That's true, it does ask if you've taken the MCAT when you register for the DAT. But from what I understand....this info isn't sent to the dental schools. It is part of the information AADSAS compiles each year about students who take the DAT. They release this information more for information to the general public as a survey or study

good luck on the DAT

If you took the MCAT already and then decided to apply to dental school it may make people wonder why you changed your mind. The DAT app does ask what other exams you've taken but also asks for other information, such as ethnicity, which does not come up anywhere else but gets published as statistical information by the schools.

You'll need to talk about why dentistry is for you in your personal statement-fewer years of education versus an md is probably not what you'll want to submit.

uvaGirL07 said:
ohhhh ok. thank you!!! :oops:

I'm very new to dentistry, but the more and more I read about the profession, the more I am attracted to it. One of my main concerns about medical school was the time commitment. Four years of medical school plus four years of residency just seemed a bit overwhelming especially for a girl like myself who dreams about having a large family. The dental profession seems to add more flexibility to one's schedule.

Just a bit of advice, dont mention that in your interviews. You dont want them to think that all you want to do is practice for a few years and then have kids which will undoubtedly effect your career (even if that is what you plan to do). But the flexibility is also something that attracted me to the dental profession as I am sure it has done for so many other females, just dont openly admit it to anyone who has an influence in the decision to grant you admission. Good luck!