premed student jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marand13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a good job that i could do while in school. What kinds of jobs are readily available to premeds?

Members don't see this ad.

I must add the caveat that I was not "pre-med" until after I graduated, I was an RA in college which was a good experience and great pay, I wasn't interested in medicine or knew anyone who was, so this is all from what I learned after graduation.

1) EMT-B. You can get EMT-B certification from classes offered by community colleges, hospitals or some other schools. In most communities medical transport companies or private ambulance firms hire green EMT-B's for part time work which can fit pretty well with your studies. EMT class shouldn't be too much of a challenge if your a good pre-med student. The pros: looks good on, provides good patient contact, can keep you motivated. The cons: poor pay (many EMT-Bs work with volunteer fire departments, so be glad your paid at all), the work can get pretty boring (you dont use your brain too much). I'm an EMT-B currently, hoping to get a job at a Chicago hospital. Really, you can do it.

2) Tutor. A great option, requires little training, uses skills you already know and will show that you are a good teacher and communicator, which med schools look for (according to these forums). If you aced the MCAT or SAT (got in the top 90%) teaching for the Princeton Review or Kaplan is a great option because again, its part time and works with your schedule. Plus, it's probably some of the best pay you can expect.

3) TA or research assistant. I did this over a summer (because my schools didn't do much research), but from what I know, in many schools its not too unusual for a good student in his senior year (or before or after) to work part time lab preparing solutions and what not. It can be a good foot and the do and a good opportunity to hone/show off teacher or research skills that are looked for. You can cold call some nice professors and often end up with more than you hoped for.

4) Hospital Grunt. AKA transporter, unit clerk, et cetera et cetera. Not too much pay, you don't use your brain, and absolutely no glamor. But these jobs don't require much aside from being dependable and a hard worker. Some hospital's HR people seem to be okay with working around your student schedule, some only want full time people. You'd think these jobs would be easy to find, but I found that its very easy to be rejected (as university graduate) for being over-qualified. Take that as an ominous sign.

5) Home health aide. An even bigger grunt, but can sometimes be very rewarding by allowing you to build long term relationships with cogent but elderly or bed ridden patients. Or at least that's what I heard from recruiters. My mother told me these people spend all their days cleaning out the bedpans for 90 y/0 ladies with dementia, which wouldn't be a very rewarding clinical experience.

6) Whatever your daddy or your friend's daddy can hook up at his office/hospital. Honestly, I would take this option if it were available to me. You'd be working with people who are sympathetic to your dreams and maybe willing to spend a little extra time teaching you something extra or making your experience rewarding. It'd probably be cushy too. In short, exercise any connections you got, at this point I would if I had them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Domino's pizza delivery. I earn between $11-17/hour and all I do is drive around and give people their food. I live in a rural area though, and people are more likely to tip better than they do in the city. Although sometimes I'll drive 10 miles one way and the customer won't tip me a dime. :mad:

Tip, people, tip!!!

I do have EMT certification though. Maybe I'll look into using it...

I nanny for an oral surgeon and his wife (in med field but not working)... they are awesome as far as paying well (10-12/hr) and understand and work with my schedule. They are so flexible if I am flipping over a test I can cancel day of! The kids love me and I have learned a ton about child development which is great cuz I wanna do pediatrics!

I nanny for an oral surgeon and his wife (in med field but not working)... they are awesome as far as paying well (10-12/hr) and understand and work with my schedule. They are so flexible if I am flipping over a test I can cancel day of! The kids love me and I have learned a ton about child development which is great cuz I wanna do pediatrics!

I love kids! I babysit also but was looking for something that I am qualified for just because I'm 2nd yr premed. I sent resumes to a few hospitals and community organizations that do tutoring and deal with homeless. No one has gotten back to me yet.:rolleyes: Just waiting and wondering cause flipping burgers is not me.

Just waiting and wondering cause flipping burgers is not me.

Too good for burgers, huh?

Heck, serving ice cream isn't my calling either but I did it for 3 years because I needed to work and that gave me good hours and money.

Too good for burgers, huh?

Heck, serving ice cream isn't my calling either but I did it for 3 years because I needed to work and that gave me good hours and money.

And don't forget the free ice cream. My favorite aspect of working at the local parlor for a year.

And don't forget the free ice cream. My favorite aspect of working at the local parlor for a year.

Oh yeah....I miss the free ice cream. That was a good perk. :D