Premed Stuff and the Fam reactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sc4s2cg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how reactions change throughout the months/years of declaring premed. What does your family do, now that you are premed?

My parents:

When I first declared premed to my mom and dad at the family dinner table, they were (understandably) proud. And, I suspect, doubtful that I would go with it. After I called guidance for more information and signed up for Gen Chem I and II with labs for the summer, that doubt changed to doubt that I could do it. After surviving the summer, getting grades in Calc and Orgo I and II with lab 1, doubt changed totally to worry over overloading.

Now that I'm taking Physics I with Lab, and trying to find a job and volunteer opportunities for the semester, my mom and dad are actively trying to talk me out of volunteering + jobs.

My brothers:

When I first declared, I doubt they believed it. However that declaration plus my Nursing major, combined with my fascination with nutrition and fitness made for a nasty combination: I am now the official "go-to" guy for the into-sports brother for every ache and pain on his body. From backaches to shoulder aches (his first year of football is this semester :rolleyes:) to ankle aches (during his sprint and wrestling fascinations), I've been asked to basically provide a cure.

My extended family:

The grandmothers are the only ones I heard from, everyone is overseas, and they are proud. Which is not saying much, when they were told about my Nursing passion they basically assumed it was the "American" word for "doctor". Old prejudices based on nurses being only females and doctors being only males. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing says "I want to be a doctor" quite like majoring in wanting to be a nurse. Good luck with that interview hurdle, dude.

^As the Facebook status so aptly puts it "It's complicated". :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You lost me at "understandably proud to be a premed"

Its silly to be proud of something so unsubstantial as being "pre-med".

Be proud of your actual accomplishments, not of your dreams.

My parents are just grateful that I'm in college. My brother didn't even graduate high school so they're pretty proud that I'm driven by something.

I disagree. Be proud of your dreams! Just apply yourself wholeheartedly.

As far as your family being proud of your decision to be a premed. The ChiaPet is wise. We really haven't accomplished our destinies as premeds. A majority of premeds do not become doctors, even the majority of those that apply. Keep the "joy" between your parents and yourself, and live and study like you've got something to prove--you do.

Dedicate yourself and drop-kick your studies, medical school will work out if it's what you want to do.

My dad congratulated me with a cardboard cookie and a cup of shredded paper.

I disagree. Be proud of your dreams! Just apply yourself wholeheartedly.

As far as your family being proud of your decision to be a premed. The ChiaPet is wise. We really haven't accomplished our destinies as premeds. A majority of premeds do not become doctors, even the majority of those that apply. Keep the "joy" between your parents and yourself, and live and study like you've got something to prove--you do.

Dedicate yourself and drop-kick your studies, medical school will work out if it's what you want to do.

:thumbup:

churchsign_loser.jpg

strongly disappointed in OP's post. was expecting something at least mildly funny after reading title of thread. bleh.. OP get over yourself

Nothing says "I want to be a doctor" quite like majoring in wanting to be a nurse. Good luck with that interview hurdle, dude.

Seriously. Nursing major and pre-med? How are you planning to explain that to adcomms?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously. Nursing major and pre-med? How are you planning to explain that to adcomms?

So, they say major in whatever you want if you want to go to med school, but you can't be a nursing major? I understand that they lead to 2 different professions, but nursing majors have a lot of psychology classes, which could probably end up helping out OP's bedside manner.

...I have a feeling this will only be my opinion.

My mother

In the beginning: "Oh Bree, you always go through these phases. Remember in middle school when you wanted to collect my little ponies?"

A couple months later: "Wouldn't you rather do something fun? Like being a lawyer?"

Months later: "I still think this is a phase. Remember when you wanted to be a chef? Ha! Look what happened with that"

Months later: "Wouldn't you rather be a forensic scientist or profiler or whatever? Now that wasn't a phase, that was real. Do that!"

Still later: "Remember when you fell in love with the color pink, but it only lasted a year?" (I was 12!)

Later: "You'll change your mind in college so often. Remember when you wanted to be a zoologist? And a teacher? You'll change your mind again."

Now: "I guess I'll be proud of you no matter what you do..."

At least Mom is past the point of telling me it's a phase, right?

So, they say major in whatever you want if you want to go to med school, but you can't be a nursing major? I understand that they lead to 2 different professions, but nursing majors have a lot of psychology classes, which could probably end up helping out OP's bedside manner.

I don't think it will be a problem. As long as you finish your pre-reqs you can do whatever you want.

My only problem is the fact I feel that this thread is fishing for pats on the back

You can take psychology classes without majoring in Nursing...its the same principle as taking the spot in an RN program that could have gone to someone else that actually plans to work in the field; someone else that actually wants to be a nurse could have OP's seat in the nursing classes that he/she will be required to take for her major. Yes you can major in whatever you want and still enter medical school, because you can complete the prereq's regardless, but that doesn't mean that picking a major for a related health care field won't be a problem for you in explaining your intentions.

I told my family my dream was to become a millionaire, they were (understandably) proud.

It is because to major in nursing is different from other majors in that it is essentially a professional training program. If you are simultaneously majoring in nursing and intending to apply to medical school, you might be sure you're going to med school, and wasting a nursing spot, sure you're going to be a nurse, and wasting your time on the medical stuff, or wishy-washy and unsure on what you want to do and potentially wasting everyone's time.

Also, there's a sense of sniping from allied fields that need the manpower.

I am not saying it wouldn't help, it's just that it is very likely that the OP will be asked "Why not become a nurse if you majored in nursing?" during an interview and quite honestly there is no good answer to that.

It is because to major in nursing is different from other majors in that it is essentially a professional training program.

This.

Lately I lie and say I don't want to be a doctor. People make such a big deal out of being a doctor plus it's annoying to explain how many years of school I need an they still don't understand it.

My [Asian] parents: We were wondering when you would wake up and realize that you have to be a doctor. Thank god. We didn't want to pressure you, you know, like those Asian parents... So you are going for dermatology right??

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Obviously I didn't make the OP clear enough. All I really wanted this thread to be was to see what others family reactions were throughout your premed experience. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of my choices, I just wanted to hear some stories.

I am also aware that the nursing-premed "controversy" has been talked about many times (in fact, I came to find this board after searching for "premed and nursing" and finding this thread), however if anyone wants to discuss further, feel free to make a new thread. I'd be happy to give my POV. :)

To clarify the OP, the reason I mentioned nursing is simple. My (Hungarian, with all the stereotypes) grandmothers and grandfather basically refused to believe my initial nursing ambitions 3 years ago, they kept talking about "doctor Peter will take care of me in my dying years, amirite?". So telling them that I'm now setting eyes on med school basically said nothing. Same with my brothers, I've been asked to evaluate every body ache and rash since before I took basic structure and function. Since my prenursing years. Sorry for the confusion, as I mentioned in another thread (the awkward one) I'm still learning.

Further, on the pride thing, it was meant to show my parents' underestimation. To them, premed is an accomplishment. So is getting a job. And volunteering. And doing anything other than what they assumed could happen in the US (our entire family is made up of nurses, teachers, pastors, military. So it was assumed I would do one of those three. You could easily replace pride with pleasant surprise and shock. Pleasant in the way that someone who thinks Nurses are either gay or women, is pleasantly surprised to find their son not going the "gay route"). Again, I apologize for the confusion and for coming across as wanting slaps on the back.

So what's your story?

Last edited:
My [Asian] parents: We were wondering when you would wake up and realize that you have to be a doctor. Thank god. We didn't want to pressure you, you know, like those Asian parents... So you are going for dermatology right??

HAHA ^ win.

Btw- ponyo the movie was the cutest thing ever.

It's a bad idea.

It's hugely disrespectful to the nursing profession to use their education and displace someone else from a spot in an undergraduate nursing program just so you can "prepare" yourself for medical school by learning a skill set that is completely different from the one you'll need as a doctor. Yes, it will lead to lots of clinical hours, but you need a more general curriculum to prepare for medical school. Also, don't forget that doctors are very sensitive to things that might piss of the nurses, and pre-meds wasting spots in nursing programs as a stepping stone to medical school is the sort of thing that will definitely (and justifiably) piss off the nurses.

Don't do it.

They were relieved that I was actually going to make something out of myself.

My mom is under the impression that my years of undergraduate studies were teaching me all the basic doctor things, and now comes to me for all her diagnostic problems.
When I say "I don't know" she says I'm a pitiful student and yells at me for not paying attention.

I'm not so sure I understand the point of this post...

Your parents are proud? Sweet. Don't let that pride get to your head, being a doctor is no more righteous or honorable than any other profession. Taking a spot away from a future nurse is certainly lame.

My parents: Great, we'll pay for your medical school!! (my brother's a doctor already so no "Oh, my son is going to be a doc.." they couldn't care less, lol)

Everytime I get into an argument w/ my mom;
My mom: You should become a lawyer, you'll probably be able to talk the judge into signing themself into jail.

Me: WTF? Why can't you be like other asian parents? you know, the ones that want all their children to go into medicine?

My parents: Great, we'll pay for your medical school!! (my brother's a doctor already so no "Oh, my son is going to be a doc.." they couldn't care less, lol)

Everytime I get into an argument w/ my mom;
My mom: You should become a lawyer, you'll probably be able to talk the judge into signing themself into jail.

Me: WTF? Why can't you be like other asian parents? you know, the ones that want all their children to go into medicine?

Lucky

Side note- An Asian from NC? I am going to take a shot in the dark and say State.

My mother

In the beginning: "Oh Bree, you always go through these phases. Remember in middle school when you wanted to collect my little ponies?"

A couple months later: "Wouldn't you rather do something fun? Like being a lawyer?"

Months later: "I still think this is a phase. Remember when you wanted to be a chef? Ha! Look what happened with that"

Months later: "Wouldn't you rather be a forensic scientist or profiler or whatever? Now that wasn't a phase, that was real. Do that!"

Still later: "Remember when you fell in love with the color pink, but it only lasted a year?" (I was 12!)

Later: "You'll change your mind in college so often. Remember when you wanted to be a zoologist? And a teacher? You'll change your mind again."

Now: "I guess I'll be proud of you no matter what you do..."

At least Mom is past the point of telling me it's a phase, right?

Correction: "My Little Ponies." Geez.