PREMED THAT NEEDS ADVICE/HELP (MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz650

Reaction score
Hey everyone, am a freshman premed in a community college. I started studying for the MCAT since day 1 of my college and my gpa currently is a 3.6. Am stressing about the MCAT so much even though I didn't take it, lol. So here is the resources am using:

(1) Uworld
(2) Princeton (expensive as hell$$)
(3) Quizlets and Ankis
(4) Some of the AAMC Materials

So, my questions are: should I use more resources? if yes, which ones?. Also, I have 1 research involvement on my school and soon I will do another one.

Shadowing: I also have about 100 hours of shadowing. I will definitely reach around a 1000 by the time I apply.

Note: I know its early ! I just want to get it done early so I can focus on research, volunteering and etc.

So, give me your opinion on my stats, are they enough? or need more? any suggestions? let me know that will really help and any advices are welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I started studying for the MCAT since day 1 of my college and my gpa currently is a 3.6

"Whole ass one thing, don't half ass two things". Focus on your GPA, don't study for the MCAT this early.

You have more than enough shadowing already, you don't need 1000 hours. Use that time towards studying and volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, am a freshman premed in a community college. I started studying for the MCAT since day 1 of my college and my gpa currently is a 3.6. Am stressing about the MCAT so much even though I didn't take it, lol. So here is the resources am using:

(1) Uworld
(3) Quizlets and Ankis

So, my questions are: should I use more resources? if yes, which ones?. Also, I have 1 research involvement on my school and soon I will do another one.

Shadowing: I also have about 100 hours of shadowing. I will definitely reach around a 1000 by the time I apply.

So, give me your opinion on my stats, are they enough? or need more? any suggestions? let me know that will really help and any advices are welcomed.

I would encourage you to stop studying for the MCAT and focus on your classes. Your premed classes will expect a higher level of detail than the MCAT will. The MCAT focuses on concepts and reasoning skills. These skills are best honed during a dedicated MCAT prep period. Using Anki would be a good tool to memorize some minutiae that may get you an extra question or two on test day. Save AAMC
, UWorld, and other resources for later.

1000 hours of shadowing? Are you going to be a scribe?
Way too early, just focus on classes, clubs (especially fun ones you can commit too), and friends! Summers and breaks are good times to get in some shadowing and volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage you to stop studying for the MCAT and focus on your classes. Your premed classes will expect a higher level of detail than the MCAT will. The MCAT focuses on concepts and reasoning skills. These skills are best honed during a dedicated MCAT prep period. Using Anki would be a good tool to memorize some minutiae that may get you an extra question or two on test day. Save AAMC
, UWorld, and other resources for later.

Thank you for your advice. I will make sure to lower the pace on studying for the mcat and focus on classes more.

Umm, excuse me, we are not here to fight ok. Lets be respectful a little than that. Why would I lie about my stats, I am mentioning them to get advice from people who went through this
To be fair, maybe you are not trolling, but you should realize what your post history looks like. You went from preparing for the PCAT in December to being a freshman in community college the following October who is neck deep in MCAT preparation after a whopping two months of junior college. No one thinks you are lying about stats, because you don't have any to speak of yet. Mid term grades in your first semester of community college aren't stats. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The fact is, you have been a SDN member for almost a year and have all of 4 posts, 3 of which were made today on this topic. So, maybe you are not a troll, but you sure look like one. If not, the advice you received is solid. Focus on school and don't bother worrying about the MCAT for a few years. Whatever happened with the PCAT can just as likely happen with the MCAT as well, and all your preparation will have been for nothing. :cool:

To be fair, maybe you are not trolling, but you should realize what your post history looks like. You went from preparing for the PCAT in December to being a freshman in community college the following October who is neck deep in MCAT preparation after a whopping two months of junior college. No one thinks you are lying about stats, because you don't have any to speak of yet. Mid term grades in your first semester of community college aren't stats. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The fact is, you have been a SDN member for almost a year and have all of 4 posts, 3 of which were made today on this topic. So, maybe you are not a troll, but you sure look like one. If not, the advice you received is solid. Focus on school and don't bother worrying about the MCAT for a few years. Whatever happened with the PCAT can just as likely happen with the MCAT as well, and all your preparation will have been for nothing. :cool:

Bit much, especially with the emojis

(1) Uworld
(3) Quizlets and Ankis

kaplan OR princeton OR uworld (pick one. if you have time, pick two out of three. your brain won't be able to remember everything, too much content from third-party sources will mess you up)
anki
AAMC prep hub
Altius practice exam pack

do this the months before taking the MCAT. preparing now is too early and will not be worth the effort.

What I do recommend you start now is do psych/soc Anki cards (google for them on reddit) periodically, and CARS passages every now and then when you're bored. stick to Jack Westin for CARS, no need to splurge on more third-party cars books. also, it's too early to be touching the AAMC prep hub, they should be done during dedicated study the months before test day. hands off. like everyone else has said, GPA is #1 for freshman year.

Ok. To start off, I never said my stats are my mid term grades. Second, When someone indicates he is a freshman it does not mean he does not have a GPA (and you realize each year is 2 semesters right -_-). Concerning my post history, I was maybe considering pharmacy as a profession but later realized am not going to be happy with the job market over the coming years and I reconsidered my initial WANT which is medicine. By the way, why does it bother you anyways. Forums are created not to start arguments but to share experiences and educate. For me you look like a high school student who has no idea what he is doing/saying (Thats why am not mad). I understand kids these days trying to act adults. Anyways, I forgot that SDN has people like you (negative, ridiculous and useless). I even regret to write such a long paragraph for you (you don't deserve it either ways). But Whatever, I locked the post because I am done with *****s like you commenting stupid things like: you are troll. I would prefer to only read posts than make ones because illiterate people like you will not provide anything useful. ENJOY YOUR IGNORANCE !!!!

• Dislike
Bit much, especially with the emojis

kaplan OR princeton OR uworld (pick one. if you have time, pick two out of three. your brain won't be able to remember everything, too much content from third-party sources will mess you up)
anki
AAMC prep hub
Altius practice exam pack

do this the months before taking the MCAT. preparing now is too early and will not be worth the effort.

What I do recommend you start now is do psych/soc Anki cards (google for them on reddit) periodically, and CARS passages every now and then when you're bored. stick to Jack Westin for CARS, no need to splurge on more third-party cars books. also, it's too early to be touching the AAMC prep hub, they should be done during dedicated study the months before test day. hands off. like everyone else has said, GPA is #1 for freshman year.

Thank you. I'll make sure to not focus too much on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.