Premed Tips/Tricks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StritchMD2011

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a highschool senior who is very interested in medicine. I've been browsing the boards for a few weeks now and I have learned a great deal about the medical school application process.

I am looking for advice from all you "experts" on what I can do to statistically increase my chances of gaining acceptance to medical school.:D I realize that I have a long road ahead of me, and I plan on enjoying my senior year and my undergrad years to their fullest. I'm not really worried about medical school now but I figure the more I know, the better my chances. I appreciate any/all tips, tricks, and other random info for someone interested in getting into medicine. Thanks!!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll get you all the knowledge if you PM me.

Later,
Gumshoe

"It's all a hoax"

have a life, drink and have fun in college, keep solid grades but have a very outgoing life.. i hate typical premeds who study and ar sociall inept

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some stuff that shows interest in medicine, and be sincere about your interest in it (the latter point is key). But also have outside interests and do other stuff besides things that would go on the list "things that will help me get into med school."

If you are really sure you want to be a doctor and do this whole med school thing, there are certain programs out of highschool which are very helpful. If I were you, however, I would go to a hospital and volunteer. Volunteering will not only make your resume look better, but it will also let you know if you really want to enter the medical field. With that said, if you still want to become a doctor, then there are programs that go under the name of Accelerated Medical Programs, or something like that. They are pretty competitive, but some allow you automatic acceptance into a certain medical school as long as you keep above their minimum GPA requirements. There is a certain book about it online which lists the different undergraduate colleges that participate in this program, I think about 17 schools do. If you want more information on this stuff, just search for accelerated medical program on yahoo or something and a few helpful links will pop up. Hope I could help.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have a pretty good social life as of now. I am definitely not one of those study geeks with no friends. I've done fairly well in high school besides my freshman year (my gpa is like a 4.2 weighted because i'm in accellerated and AP classes) and i have a 30 ACT. I'm not sure I meet the criteria for many of those accellerated med programs, but I'll take a look into many of them. I also currently volunteer and Loyola Children's Hospital and i really love it. Every time i see the med students walking the halls I feel so envious. I can't wait to be one of them, but I plan on enjoying the journey that is undergrad. If anyone has any other tips, tricks, or things a high school student should know before getting into undergrad I'd greatly appreciate it. BTW. I just got my first college acceptance at Purdue yesterday! It's not quite Harvard, and I doubt i'll go there, but I'm glad nonetheless. Now hopefully U of I, U of Michigan, Creighton, BC, BU, Marquette, and Notre Dame will send me very similar acceptances! :)

Eat mints during exams... I'm pretty convinced that it makes you temporarily smarter... okay may be not, but they do bring good luck

Originally posted by BKadow
I just got my first college acceptance at Purdue yesterday! It's not quite Harvard, and I doubt i'll go there, but I'm glad nonetheless. Now hopefully U of I, U of Michigan, Creighton, BC, BU, Marquette, and Notre Dame will send me very similar acceptances! :)

Congrautaltions!!:clap:

First of all go to a school where u will be the most happy and comfortable. Enjoy college, take interesting classes, pick a major u enjoy, it's doesn't have to be science related. Get involved in everything, take trips, meet lots of people, volunteer, develop a a raport with professors and just have fun, and ohh yeah get some good grades...hehe:laugh:

Need nething pm me

congrats BKadow!!! your purdue acceptance rocks!!! i got my undergrad acceptance on my birthday, which made me incredibly happy. hopefully med schools will follow suit!! ;)

my advice for undergrad is: enjoy yourself, and do well. don't do what i did and overload yourself with heavy courses. not only will you be miserable, but you'll kill your gpa past recovery. space out your classes so that you can do well in them and still have fun. college is great. enjoy it, learn and experience new things, meet great people, get involved with organizations b/c you like them and they're meaningful to you (not b/c you think it'll look good on your med school app). major in something you like, and don't be afraid to change your mind about med school (not saying that you will, just that it happens). congrats on your acceptance!!