UC Riverside Premed Vs UN Reno Premed

medrambler

Reaction score
Hello, I am torn between UC Riverside Premed Vs UN Reno Premed as a transfer student in Jr year.

Both colleges have their respective public medical schools. Being a CA resident, I will be considered as a "Nevada applicant" by UNR’s med school if I graduate from UNR undergrad, which gives me better acceptance chances at the UNR medical school.

UCR has the EAP and Thomas Haider Program, though in both programs, approximately 30-40 UCR students/Alumni are present in UCR medical school (which has a total class size of 80) each year.

UNR Medical School (which has a total class size of 70) has about 40 UNR undergrad alumni each year in their MD class.

If I go with UCR Premed, I will be OOS for Nevada medical schools.

If I go with UNR premed, I will be considered as Nevada applicant for UNR med school (because I would graduate from a Nevada university) and will get some priority in Nevada’s other medical schools. With this I am thinking I can still submit AMCAS as a CA resident (will maintain CA residency reqs) and get preference over CA medical schools (both public and private).

I am aiming for 3.7+ undergrad GPA and a 515+ MCAT score. There is not much UG tuition fee difference between UCR and UNR for me ( after scholarship at UCR and Western Undergraduate Exchange - WUE student discount at UNR).

With all this in mind, please advise which path, UCR (Riverside) Premed Vs UNR (Reno) Premed would work better. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I am aiming for 3.7+ undergrad GPA and a 515+ MCAT score.
Moved to hSDN

Everybody aims for high stats, few reach it. And plenty of those who do achieve it still get shut out of CA med schools and have to leave the state for school. CA residency gets you very little considering the sheer number of competitive applicants the state generates every year.

I would recommend changing to NV residency to maximize chances both there and at UNLV.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm treating this as if you are in CC and contemplating the next step. Where you graduated from high school and spent the majority of your childhood matters for mission fit. Did you grow up in the IE? If not, if you like living and studying in Reno, go there. Pick the undergrad program that best supports you and your preparation for a health professions career.

Reactions: 1 user