Premeds are funny in this process...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I got into medical school, and now we're moving from California to Wisconsin. I'm 8.25 months pregnant, I have a 3 year old, and we're moving all of our possessions in less than 24 hours.

Last night, my husband put my PR MCAT stuff up on Craigslist - for free. We got one response from a guy on the East coast who could not believe we were giving the stuff away, and after asking us a few times if we were for real, offered us 75.00 + shipping for them. Very nice of him... but we just don't have the time to ship it.

Maybe I'm naive. Maybe I should just take the money and carve out a moment to take my insane, tired 3 year old to the post office to ship it out. But seriously... who doesn't take FREE STUFF? Suspicious pre-meds, that's who. On the other hand, my husband is grateful for his feedback (the post could have been clearer, apparently).

BTW, my husband just reposted it on craigslist. and it's still FREE. FREE FREE FREE, lol! :laugh: If you live in the bay area and have time today to pick it up, check out his listing.

Just thought I'd share. :)

S.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha...that's kinda funny...people don't trust people anymore...or maybe they never did.

Anyhoos...I am also moving away from cali...to chicago. Good Luck!!

Yeah its not just pre-meds, how often do people ever give things out for free? I would be suspicious too (although i am premed so thats a bad example), but my sister would too and shes a business major.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm baffled that your husband won't take 30 minutes to ship the books at the post office to the kid insisting on paying for them.

That's $150 an hour to ship them. Just sell them to him. This might sound jacked, but if you were in my area I would pick them up then resell them. A little business sense never hurts. Yeah, it takes a little time, but that 75 could have paid for 2 tanks of gas for your drive to medical school...

:slap:

Sell them to the kid who you wants it or just put an ad with Freecycle.

when you mean the kid from east-coast, do you mean Nigeria?

oh it just reminded me of those craigslist scams about people saying "hey, if you ship me X to Nigeria, I will pay triple"

How on Earth did you get into medical school with a 2.70 BCPM and a 3.05 GPA overall? No offense, but it scares me a little that medical schools would allow someone so mediocre in their science grades to attend their school.

How on Earth did you get into medical school with a 2.70 BCPM and a 3.05 GPA overall? No offense, but it scares me a little that medical schools would allow someone so mediocre in their science grades to attend their school.

ooops...

Congrats on ****ting up the post.

It's good to know that adcoms find it in themselves to look a little beyond numbers.

Jealous? No, just curious. I agree, there is a lot more to a person than just number, but a C average in the sciences? Below average if you ask me. Not a quality I want to see in someone looking after my health.

Congrats on ****ting up the post.

It's good to know that adcoms find it in themselves to look a little beyond numbers.

Not a surprise you'd say that, considering you're just barely average yourself..

You have no idea what a lot of us have done to get into medical school. It's very naive to think that a good doctor is made from a 4.0/45.

Congrats, Nanon!!!!!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Jealous? No, just curious. I agree, there is a lot more to a person than just number, but a C average in the sciences? Below average if you ask me. Not a quality I want to see in someone looking after my health.

A C average would be a 2.0, smarty pants.

And it doesn't look like anyone asked you at all.

Everyone thats dogging this woman has some issues. Who the heck knows what kind of stuff this woman has been through! THe school would not have given her a seat had they not truly thought that she would be a worthwhile physician.
( By the way, she got accepted into TWO different schools)

Numbers have nothing to do with how good of a doctor someone will be. Schools use numbers to cut down on applicants because they can and they also don't want to go through 10k applications.

Was just talking to a PD for an ENT program and he said they pick just random board scores (80th percentile) / GPA cutoff (3.2) so they can get down to 30 or so applicants to thoroughly review. Once you meet the cutoff, they don't care about the numbers anymore.

He said they would like to review all the applicants, but given the ## of them as well as time constraints, it just isn't possible.

Thus, I believe most medical schools have cutoff at like 2.5 / 3.0 GPAs for them to take a look at you.

So... hmmm. I'm taking a break from packing and return to find so much controversy! Over my grades, no less!

A 2.7 science gpa is just awful, and it certainly pulled down my overall. The poster who is horrified that I got into medical school doesn't know the whole story, let alone a little of it, and his (or her) opinion is fine with me. To each their own. The surgeons and professors who wrote my letters of recommendation didn't seem too concerned about my ability, character or intelligence. I got into both schools I interviewed at, and all of my interviewers were impressed with my credentials. Most importantly, I'm not worried about whether or not I'll do well in medical school. I have more pressing things to worry about. Like whether or not I can get my family moved across the country in the next few days.

Which is all beside the point, which is that premeds are a skeptical bunch. (My husband doesn't drive, which is why he didn't bring the stuff to the p.o., btw). And, the stuff is gone, which was a funny story in itself, but I don't have time to post it now. :/

S.

:laugh: The title of this thread is so appropriate... starting with the person discussed in the OP to a pre-med bashing the OP's stats... what can I say? The title is fitting.

how on earth did you get into medical school with a 2.70 bcpm and a 3.05 gpa overall? No offense, but it scares me a little that medical schools would allow someone so mediocre in their science grades to attend their school.

stfu.

Pre meds have to be the most irritating, insecure group of people ive ever met...I know im going to probably hate my med school classmates:laugh:....hopefully they are a chill class :(. But anywyas nanon youre the reason im applying to UW ;) lol

Quickly... thanks, everyone, for coming to my defense. In a weird way, it's actually helping me get through this really trying day. And guju, you didn't really out me. It's right there on my mdapps. And even if you had, I can't adequately express how much I soooooooo don't care. :laugh: Besides, you've always been cool to me. And of course, as always roadrunner, you totally got the biggest laugh from me today. :) Eli, I hope you get in!

Ok, back to the grind. I still have all of our clothes to clean, sort and pack... but the end is neigh! Wooohooo! :soexcited:

lol, 2.7 is a C average... its just a high C average.... smarty panties :p

not so calm now, eh?

last i checked it was a B-

oh and also, last i checked, you were a giant TROLL.

So... hmmm. I'm taking a break from packing and return to find so much controversy! Over my grades, no less!

A 2.7 science gpa is just awful, and it certainly pulled down my overall. The poster who is horrified that I got into medical school doesn't know the whole story, let alone a little of it, and his (or her) opinion is fine with me. To each their own. The surgeons and professors who wrote my letters of recommendation didn't seem too concerned about my ability, character or intelligence. I got into both schools I interviewed at, and all of my interviewers were impressed with my credentials. Most importantly, I'm not worried about whether or not I'll do well in medical school. I have more pressing things to worry about. Like whether or not I can get my family moved across the country in the next few days.

Which is all beside the point, which is that premeds are a skeptical bunch. (My husband doesn't drive, which is why he didn't bring the stuff to the p.o., btw). And, the stuff is gone, which was a funny story in itself, but I don't have time to post it now. :/

S.

you're awesome. having moved about 10 times in my (short) life, i totally feel for you and wish you a lot of luck heading over to wisconsin! (and i am quite curious about the PR books :))

Not a surprise you'd say that, considering you're just barely average yourself..

I'll make the 2nd med student here to just roll their eyes at such a comment.

Quickly... thanks, everyone, for coming to my defense. In a weird way, it's actually helping me get through this really trying day. And guju, you didn't really out me. It's right there on my mdapps. And even if you had, I can't adequately express how much I soooooooo don't care. :laugh: Besides, you've always been cool to me. And of course, as always roadrunner, you totally got the biggest laugh from me today. :) Eli, I hope you get in!

Ok, back to the grind. I still have all of our clothes to clean, sort and pack... but the end is neigh! Wooohooo! :soexcited:
Good luck moving!!! Its gotta be hard...i know when the times comes if i have to move this year its going to be a pain. Moving my son 1/2 way across the country isnt appealing :scared:

man..the OP is a true angel...

if it were me, and I was worried and busy moving my entire family to the east coast, i would not even bother to take 30 minutes out of my time to meet up with a premed to give them my MCAT books for FREE...

i would rather save the 30 mins and throw away the books and focus on packing.

man..the OP is a true angel...

if it were me, and I was worried and busy moving my entire family to the east coast, i would not even bother to take 30 minutes out of my time to meet up with a premed to give them my MCAT books for FREE...

i would rather save the 30 mins and throw away the books and focus on packing.

I would pack them and sell them in my new place. Niceties stop when it comes to business. At least for me.

I think the OP sounds like a great person, I just think she shouldn't short change herself (literally). But this is coming from the guy who sold his $1 pair of sandals to a little Mexican boy on the beach in Mexico for $5. But I was only 8 or 9, so :shrug:

because every time you see a doctor, you always have to ask them what their GPA and MCAT was... and if they aren't 4.0/45T you won't be seen by them! lol. you're ridiculous, way to make yourself sound like a condescending d-bag when the OP didn't even say anything negative to you.

I would pack them and sell them in my new place. Niceties stop when it comes to business. At least for me.

I think the OP sounds like a great person, I just think she shouldn't short change herself (literally). But this is coming from the guy who sold his $1 pair of sandals to a little Mexican boy on the beach in Mexico for $5. But I was only 8 or 9, so :shrug:

LOL...OC your a horrible person...:thumbup::love:. Maybe you could add that story in your PS to give it a more personal feel ;). Shows you have good buisness sense something maybe important for future physicians!!

Ah, but they were HEAVY, and I'm paying the shipping co. by the pound. So in the end, it would have probably been not worth my time - literally. (My husband and I get paid pretty well, or at least, I used to, lol). And time, oh time is of the essence. S**t, why am I still on the internets??? :eek::smuggrin:

Ah, but they were HEAVY, and I'm paying the shipping co. by the pound. So in the end, it would have probably been not worth my time - literally. (My husband and I get paid pretty well, or at least, I used to, lol). And time, oh time is of the essence. S**t, why am I still on the internets??? :eek::smuggrin:

Good luck with the move.

LOL...OC your a horrible person...:thumbup::love:. Maybe you could add that story in your PS to give it a more personal feel ;). Shows you have good buisness sense something maybe important for future physicians!!

Ha ha. I'll definitely try to squeeze that one in there. It will however have some sales in there (just not to a poor little Mexican boy). ;)

I hear you on that. Best of luck on your trip out to Wisconsin and in school! If you're done with your books after your first year, I would be happy to take them off your hands. :D (for free of course);)

Nanon, from one OPM to another - you go girl.

Sometimes admission to med school isn't as random as it seems. You're one person admitted for all the right reasons. Hang on - next decade gonna be intense.

- Tae

the fact that you (Nanon) are going to UW makes me kind of sad that I'm not going there. it also gives me just a little bit of faith in the application process.

my wife and I are packing up our stuff too for the big move. our baby is due a month before matriculation. what a mess...

good luck with everything!

2.7 is between a B and a B-.
Inability to recognize this doesn't bode well for the poster who criticized it.
Some schools still curve around a B/B- as the average.

You also show no understanding of non-trads, and the GPAs with which they apply. Congrats to the OP, not only for getting into school, but being able to not care about this insensitive poster.

Yeah its not just pre-meds, how often do people ever give things out for free? I would be suspicious too (although i am premed so thats a bad example), but my sister would too and shes a business major.

haha if your sister was a business major, i'd hope she of all people would know be suspicious.