Preoperative (chemo)immunotherapy for stage III NSCLC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the current level of evidence on the subject? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am aware of two published trials:

SAKK 16/14:

and

NADIM:

As far I know, these are the only two trials looking at stage III NSCLC specifically. There are other trials too, but they evaluated a wider spectrum of disease, from stage I to stage III.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Medoncs trying to take away lung from us now?
It may happen for resectable stage IIIA. The pCR rates are quite high with neoadjuvant IO + chemotherapy.

Adjuvant IO is also going to become s.o.c. likely within the next couple of years for patients with resected stage II-IIIA (on top or without adjuvant chemotherapy), so medoncs are likely to extrapolate that if it works in the adjuvant setting it is going to work in the neoadjuvant setting too.

Reactions: 1 user
It may happen for resectable stage IIIA. The pCR rates are quite high with neoadjuvant IO + chemotherapy.

Adjuvant IO is also going to become s.o.c. likely within the next couple of years for patients with resected stage II-IIIA (on top or without adjuvant chemotherapy), so medoncs are likely to extrapolate that if it works in the adjuvant setting it is going to work in the neoadjuvant setting too.
We don't typically operate on Stage III anyways (unless incidental pN2 disease found after surgery) and I wasn't keen on pre-op in those patients to begin with.

Reactions: 1 users
We don't typically operate on Stage III anyways (unless incidental pN2 disease found after surgery) and I wasn't keen on pre-op in those patients to begin with.
Our thoracic surgeon was going off on some phase 2 trial at mskcc and how he sees it opening up more stage 3 to surg. He also thinks he will be giving the io. On a separately depressing note, the company making nav bronch is trialing an attachment for ablating tumors. Our guys can already deploy sbrt fiducials in very peripheral tumors.

Last edited:
With PACIFIC, it’s gonna be pretty hard for surgery to break out of single station N2… especially in the absence of pCR. Data will need to be VERY compelling.

Last edited:
With PACIFIC, it’s gonna be pretty hard for surgery to break out of single station N2… especially in the absence of pCR. Data will need to be VERY compelling.
pCR is something med oncs love. Look at breast cancer, for instance, and how they are pushing for it there. The same goes for TNT in rectal cancer (soon without RT, likely).
Give the med oncs data on good pCR rates and they will push for that kind of treatment.

Medoncs trying to take away lung from us now?
You must not have a med onc who tries to refer N3 disease to thoracic surgery for "curative" intent in an 'academic" practice. - Sigh... Its probably just me that I have to try to stop this every time.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Increased the pCR ten-fold? Whoa.

These pCR rates are not that different than the below, but I would chose the IO versus the below personally.

pCR is something med oncs love. Look at breast cancer, for instance, and how they are pushing for it there. The same goes for TNT in rectal cancer (soon without RT, likely).
Give the med oncs data on good pCR rates and they will push for that kind of treatment.
m_djaa184f2.jpeg

if only it was a drug that produced these pCRs...

a 22 pt med onc trial gets you nejm

These pCR rates are not that different than the below, but I would chose the IO versus the below personally.

Absolutely. The IO is having a systemic effect as well. It also seems to work if pdl< 1%

Last edited:

Or any different that this one: