Prep Classes for Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Adventure

Oat-Packing Dadaist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation:

I was an English Major who took core classes like Bio/Phys and a fundamentals in Math class like 4-5 years ago. I think jumping right into an intensive post bac program could be hazardous to my health, so I'm considering tacking on some more math like pre-calc and calc before next year starts.

So......Anyone else here with a B.A. in humanities take some prep classes prior to going post bac? Did it help? What would you recommend?

Disclaimer: I know this is addressed here and there in other threads, but I couldn't find a thread specifically addressing this. If you know of one, please post it here, please!! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would be wasting some time and money to take pre-post bac classes. The usual suite of classes you'd be taking are the 8 fundamental semesters required for med school admission - 2 semsters apiece of bio, chem, orgo and physics. The only subject where you'd scratch the surface of calculus would be the second semester of physics, but most programs (as Tufts does which I am enrolled in currently) offer two sections of physics - one that is calculus based for mostly engineers and the other that is non-calculus based for premeds. Don't stress about post bac - I was a finance/sociology major and went back 5 years after graduating college and am doing just fine adapting to the sciences. I say dive right into it. The only area you'd want to be careful is some med schools actually require calculus for admission, but you could always pick up a semester of it during your post-bac or even during your glide year.

Hope that helped.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for! Anyone else?

I found taking pre-calc and a science class (microbiology, more based on schedule/availability than for content) to be helpful. I did have to take one semester of calc for my post bacc and was happy to have taken pre-calc since it had been awhile. Comm college and/or state schools offer affordable classes. Ultimately, it's a personal decision: what will make you feel more comfortable/prepared, if not truly better prepared.

Good luck.