Prep course now, but MCAT in April. What to do???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking Kaplan right now, but decided that I would take the actual exam in April (and give myself time to finish up my orgo class). Now I'm not sure what to do. Should I:

a) pay 400 bucks to repeat Kaplan back in philly?
b) pay 1200 bucks for Princeton Review?
c) just buy some books and review by myself over the next 8 months.

I'm afraid with option c, I will become lazy and bogged down with other things to do and wait until 1 month before the exam to actually start studying again. I was thinking about repeating Kaplan, but I think the whole checking out stuff from the library is RIDICULOUS and really annoying. So the last option left would be princeton... but that would set me back 1200 dollars. ]

Any advice, guys?

Members don't see this ad.

I too am also waiting to take the April 2003 MCAT. I have not taken a review course by Kaplan or Princeton but I have used Kaplan's comprehensive review book. I took ther MCAT for the first time in April 2002 and scored the mean:( I have decided to switch to ExamKrackers b/c I have heard alot of good things about their books and I think they offer more than just a short concise review of your college science texts (as does Kaplan in my opinion).
I am going to start studying in August but for alot of people that would seem crazy. It's really a personal choice. If I were you I would look into EK or just relax and review lightly as the months pass. I would be hesistant to drop that much $$ for a review class if you have already taken the Kaplan review:eek:
Finishing up organic is a great idea, one less subject to worry about come April since it will be fresh in your mind.

Good Luck--

I'd say stay with Kaplan, but may I ask are you liking it so far? How are the diags going (most importantly, the verbal)? If you like its program, I'd say just pay the extra 400 bucks next year. If anything, the course gives you some structure and will keep you working for several months before test day and you will be less likely to blow it off until weeks before.

But as others have suggested, once you get done the first few company diags, get your hands on any of the old real MCATs you can and do them and check what you're getting wrong. Plus, I wouldn't sweat the O Chem too much, its not very involved at all in the BS section.

I like Kaplan in some ways, but not in others. I really don't have a good basis for comparison, so that's why I'm wondering whether Princeton Review might be better. Although with all the confusion going on here with possibly biased posters, I really don't know what to believe! :rolleyes:

One thing that really annoys me about Kaplan is having to go to the library to do the extra materials. It's decently convenient now, but once I go back to school, I'd much rather have my material in my room with me so I can do it at 2am in the morning if I feel like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are in NYC, it's seems like a no-brainer to take EK (rather than a corporate course). If money is an issue, why not buy some EK and BR materials and study on your own? If $400 = motivation, change focus and get a study partner. The goal of getting a great MCAT score and then into medical school should be far more motivating than checking out a visa statement or cancelled check.

I feel dumb replying to my own post three times... but...here goes

I wish I was staying in New York but I'll be back in Philly come fall. I called Kaplan over there and asked them about the location of the library... turns out they have courses on campus, but the library is all the way downtown. How sneaky of them! $4.00 round trip on a transit system that works only half the time.... AUGH! I think I WILL just buy some books and work myself.

(anybody else at Upenn? Make sure you want to go all the way down to 15th and Walnut to use Kaplan's library before you sign up...)

Originally posted by missmod
I called Kaplan over there and asked them about the location of the library... turns out they have courses on campus, but the library is all the way downtown. How sneaky of them!

And yet another reason why I root for the small guy.

For both reasons of quality and in support of companies that do exclusively MCAT prep, why not buy EK and Berkeley Review materials for about $400 and have a better set of materials than you would have gotten with the corporate giant.

Originally posted by missmod
I feel dumb replying to my own post three times... but...here goes

I wish I was staying in New York but I'll be back in Philly come fall. I called Kaplan over there and asked them about the location of the library... turns out they have courses on campus, but the library is all the way downtown. How sneaky of them! $4.00 round trip on a transit system that works only half the time.... AUGH! I think I WILL just buy some books and work myself.

(anybody else at Upenn? Make sure you want to go all the way down to 15th and Walnut to use Kaplan's library before you sign up...)

I was checking into EK also, and heard that they were doing a course in Philly, for the '03 exam. You might want to check for yourself though, I am not positive. Good Luck.