prep courses revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigress

queen of the jungle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there have been tons of threads in the past about prep courses, of course. Some people say they are a waste of time, but plenty of people take them. Of people who took them, which do they think is best? (note that here I am NOT asking for the answer "none, they're a waste of time). Second, people who think courses are a waste of time, are you the type that can easily stick to a schedule on your own? If I am busy (in grad school) and might find it difficult to stick to a self-study schedule, is a course worth it simply for the built-in scheduling, or should I figure out another way to prepare?

(I registered for PR today but now I'm starting to wonder...)

Members don't see this ad.

tigress said:
So there have been tons of threads in the past about prep courses, of course. Some people say they are a waste of time, but plenty of people take them. Of people who took them, which do they think is best? (note that here I am NOT asking for the answer "none, they're a waste of time). Second, people who think courses are a waste of time, are you the type that can easily stick to a schedule on your own? If I am busy (in grad school) and might find it difficult to stick to a self-study schedule, is a course worth it simply for the built-in scheduling, or should I figure out another way to prepare?

the reason i took a course is to have the built in schedule, and PR is the best for that out of all of them (it has the most class hours). Even if you do 1/2 of the homework, you will be more than set to take the test. I think it was beyond worth it not to have to figure out what to study on my own. take my hand, tell me what to do, i'll do it, and i'll get it done. without the course i would have spent 1/2 the time trying to figure out what i needed to do.

A friend of mine took the Kaplan course, and brought her score from a 21 (she took the real thing years ago and got a 21, then took it again at the beginning of the Kaplan course, and got the same thing) to a 31. She swears by it. I'm chosing not to take a course because I don't have the money, and because I am disciplined enough to study on my own. I purchased almost all the Examkrackers material, and on this MCAT website someone posted the EK home study schedule, which I'll follow to a tee. I've talked to people who took courses and didn't score well after, and most of them admitted that they didn't put in enough home time (which is probably why PR would be better . . . it sounds like most of what you need to do is in the classroom). I hope that helps. Good luck. :) :luck:

3 science passages on my mcat were exactly the same as ones i had studies from the kaplan center. the questions, the answers, were word for word the same. it was unbelievably helpful to breeze by those passages so i could spend more time on the other ?s.

my vote: Kaplan (borrow money to pay for it if you have to, i think it's that worth it)

ps. the practice test questions were the best part of the course. i never went to any of the classes

Members don't see this ad :)
prehysteric said:
3 science passages on my mcat were exactly the same as ones i had studies from the kaplan center. the questions, the answers, were word for word the same. it was unbelievably helpful to breeze by those passages so i could spend more time on the other ?s.

my vote: Kaplan (borrow money to pay for it if you have to, i think it's that worth it)

ps. the practice test questions were the best part of the course. i never went to any of the classes

I've heard similar claims from other people . . . lucky you to get 3 whole passages that were the same! :thumbup: The others I heard were like one passage, or even just a couple of questions were the same. That's awesome! Coincedentally, I borrowed all my friend's materials from when she took the course, so I'm going to really make sure I know those practice tests inside and out! Thanks for the info. Take care.

Khenon, just curious, is "east asian" considered Japan or more around the Phillipines?

I used to teach the MCAT for Kaplan and now I teach for the PR. So I can comment on the differences between the two courses.

You'll spend a lot more time in the classroom at PR. For example, you'll spend a minimum of 18 hours reviewing Physics at TPR versus only 9 hours at Kaplan. So if you're looking for a course that will review a lot of the material in great detail, then go with PR. When I taught at Kaplan, a lot of students came in thinking that we would "re-teach" them Physics; that was simply not the case and a lot of students left dissapointed.

If you're more of a self-studier and don't think you need to spend a lot of time in the classroom reviewing the basic sciences, then I think either course would suit you. It is true that Kaplan has more in their library, but in over a year teaching at Kaplan I never saw a student go through more than half of the material in the Kaplan library. And after doing practice material from both companies, I would say both of them are equally "MCAT-like"

Lastly, I think the teachers at PR are a bit more qualified. The training process at PR is much more rigorous. When I did my training at Kaplan, the trainer was an LSAT teacher; I literally could have stood up there and talked about how hydrocarbons do hydrogen-bonding, and he would have believed me. At PR, you are evaluated not only on your teaching style but also your knowledge of the material.

This is just one person's opinion (mine). Best of luck whatever route you choose. If you work hard and put the time in, you'll do fine regardless of what course you take.

tigress said:

I took the Kaplan course twice. The first time I had unqualified instructors which cancelled class without notice and even taught the material incorrectly. I really had a bad experience. I ended up complaining, and the teacher got fired. In order to make up for the inconvience they gave me the class for free in the summer if I wanted it. I did end up taking them up on their offer and taking the course in the summer. This does show that the Kaplan people stand behind their course, and when I took it in the summer I had a wonderful experience. I think the best thing to do is call and check up on who will be taking the class. The first time I took the class, a business major was teaching physics and biology. The time I took it in the summer, experts in physics were teaching physics and experts in biology were teaching biology.

Even though the first time I had a bad experience, I do not think they are a waste of time. You do have to keep up on the material, but it is so helpful to have the schedule and have classes to go to which somewhat force you to study. The Kaplan program has tons of materials that you can study, and if you miss a class for some reason, they have all of the classes on video which is extremely nice (just know that the normal class period is 3 hours long, but the video usually lasts longer). Currently, the Kaplan MCAT course, also has the majority of their materials online, so you don't have to wait for them to open the building in order to access the materials that you paid for. This is extremely helpful for the student that likes to study at home or go to a library computer. You can even print some of the stuff, and the online workshops are wonderful. After taking all of the verbal workshops, my score in verbal went up 3 points.

Since you have already signed up for PR, you can see if they offer any of these types of services. I have heard many good things about the PR as well. I think it just depends on how you learn best. If you do need the more classroom assistance, the PR will certainly give you this help. If you want tons of material so that you can study on your own (they tell you which additional material to study as you go through your study timeline), then you may want to look into the Kaplan course. Most courses, will give you a full refund if you have not used any of their materials, and if it hasn't been too long since you have signed up. I hope this helps you in your decision. I think as long as you stick with your study schedule, I think either way will end up helping you.

Good luck preparing for the MCAT ;)

tigress said:

I was in a similar situation as you are. I was pre-med as an undergrad and took the MCAT after studying on my own. I did well enough, so I went through the whole application process but decided to go to grad school in chemistry instead. Now I am wanting to go back to med school, and in the meantime my scores expired, so I was faced with taking the test again. It has been over a decade since I took physics or intro bio so I was especially nervous about those two subjects. I didn't remember much physiology or physics.

Like you, I was also busy with grad school and I am scheduled to graduate next year some time, so I decided to take the test early this past August rather than waiting for next April. Since I had already taken the test once before, and I even taught for Kaplan as an undergrad, I was able to teach most of their MCAT classes this past summer at my local center. I think it was about the worst few months of my life; I was studying physics and biology, teaching 4-5 days per week, and working in the lab. But I have to tell you, it really paid off. There I was, swearing to my students that putting in the time and effort would make a difference, and now I was in a position where I had to put my money where my mouth is. I did the workshops, practice tests, etc. with my students on top of prepping the lessons. I ended up improving nine points from my undergrad MCAT score which was beyond my wildest dream. (I was hoping for a 40.)

Anyway, this is anecdotal evidence, and I never did take the course as a student, but I honestly don't think I'd have done anywhere near as well if I hadn't taught the Kaplan course like that and used their materials to study. Since you are a nontrad like me I think it is especially helpful because the material just isn't fresh like it is for kids who just got out of these classes last year or might still even be taking them. Just make full use of the resources that TPR makes available to you and don't get behind with the assignments. Good luck with everything.

fpr85 said:
excellent posts :thumbup:

I agree! Thanks everybody for the input. I'm still wondering if somebody with experience using Examkrackers materials could chime in here. Has anybody actually taken the course? Is their format really better? I'm sure this thread could be useful for many of us wondering how to start preparing. Thanks again for all of your replies :)

fpr85 said:
Khenon, just curious, is "east asian" considered Japan or more around the Phillipines?

I don't even know if I'm really east asian. I'm Vietnamese. So I asked my mom what "direction" it was. She thought is was southeast, so I just put east. I'm probably wrong, and lying on my profile. If you happen to know where Vietnam fits, let me know and I'll change it! :)

tigress said:
I agree! Thanks everybody for the input. I'm still wondering if somebody with experience using Examkrackers materials could chime in here. Has anybody actually taken the course? Is their format really better? I'm sure this thread could be useful for many of us wondering how to start preparing. Thanks again for all of your replies :)

I'm using Examkrackers, but I have to retake the test in April. But I don't blame the EK material. I studied for 2 months using EK, but I had to reteach myself chemistry and physics, and I didn't have time to even reteach (or even review) organic. I've been out of school for awhile! :) Needless to say, my score suffered and I'm looking to next April. But anyway, I think EK is great, and I've purchased almost all their study material (since I have more time now). If you go on the e-mcat website, www.e-mcat.com/mcat2/login.asp, they have alot of posts about different study material. I don't think I've seen one single post that doesn't like EK, whereas I've seen conflicting posts on almost all the other study companies. Granted I don't remember seeing much on the course they have. It's only offered in a couple of states, so not many people have taken it. There's also a home study guide that's been posted on this website, and I plan on using it for next April (for EK), and I think that will make a big difference too. It helps to have some guidance. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck with your studying.

Khenon said:
I don't even know if I'm really east asian. I'm Vietnamese. So I asked my mom what "direction" it was. She thought is was southeast, so I just put east. I'm probably wrong, and lying on my profile. If you happen to know where Vietnam fits, let me know and I'll change it! :)

I'm studying abroad in Vietnam right now, and it is most certainly Southeast Asia (they are even part of ASEAN - the Association of Southeast Asian Nations).

Glad to be of service. ;)

Embily123 said:
I'm studying abroad in Vietnam right now, and it is most certainly Southeast Asia (they are even part of ASEAN - the Association of Southeast Asian Nations).

Glad to be of service. ;)
Thank you much! Coincidentally I saw a map on the news that was talking about some other southeast asian country, and I saw Vietnam in there, so I was relieved I had my geography right! :D