Prep Courses...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfernando87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So this is mainly a question for CA residents... I'm at UC Berkeley right now, and I plan on taking the MCATs sometime in August. I'm definetley taking a prep course, but I'm kinda in between choices... I haven't heard much good stuff about Princeton, so right now I've narrowed it down to Kaplan, and another program called the Berkeley Review, which does nothing but focus on MCAT test prep. If anyone's heard of any good/bad stuff about the two, any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Kaplan course (two days a week and some saturday practice exams) and it was fine. I was deciding between Berkeley Review and Kaplan (I also had heard negative things about Princeton) and chose Kaplan in the end because I wanted more time to study on my own (I believe BR has classes like four days a week) with information supplemented by the class.

However, I think both programs are good and should be able to adequately inform you on test content and test taking strategies. For me, at least, it all comes down to how much you're willing to study outside of the classes. Courses are great for directing your study but in the end it comes down to you.

Hope that helps....I've heard great things about both and I think it just depends on your learning style (self-directed or would rather be 'forced' to study by having class all week long).

Hey everyone!

So this is mainly a question for CA residents... I'm at UC Berkeley right now, and I plan on taking the MCATs sometime in August. I'm definetley taking a prep course, but I'm kinda in between choices... I haven't heard much good stuff about Princeton, so right now I've narrowed it down to Kaplan, and another program called the Berkeley Review, which does nothing but focus on MCAT test prep. If anyone's heard of any good/bad stuff about the two, any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

what did you hear about Princeton? I'm trying to decide between that and the Berkeley Review, and have heard good things about both

what did you hear about Princeton? I'm trying to decide between that and the Berkeley Review, and have heard good things about both

I took Berkeley Review and it's a very good course. I don't know much about Princeton Review as a course, but I know people who scored in the 99% after taking Princeton Review.

If you decide to take Berkeley, prepare to do a lot of work.