Prep Programs for Pre-Pod Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PodStud101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am a junior in college trying to gain experience in podiatry programs before transferring to a medical institution. I have not gained much experience in podiatry; nevertheless, I would like to add items that include my experiences in research, clinical work, and volunteer work onto my resume. What programs or jobs may I join to gain the necessary experience and mindset that would make my resume to appear very appealing for admission into either a podiatry or medical institution as an undergraduate student?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

I am a junior in college trying to gain experience in podiatry programs before transferring to a medical institution. I have not gained much experience in podiatry; nevertheless, I would like to add items that include my experiences in research, clinical work, and volunteer work onto my resume. What programs or jobs may I join to gain the necessary experience and mindset that would make my resume to appear very appealing for admission into either a podiatry or medical institution as an undergraduate student?

1) Shadow
2) Attend an internship/meet and greet (Both Temple and CSPM have such programs)
3) Do any type of research you want at your current institution

To elaborate on #3 -> the research does not have to be podiatry related at all. I emailed and cold called professors after looking up their projects at my current university. Most were rejections as I moved here late. Still managed to secure research assistant positions and full time volunteer positions doing full research in wet labs as well as stuff like article searches, collecting data in the field, data crunching, presenting posters.

They are looking for exposure and the experience you take away from it. Not how many things you can put on your resume. Quality over quantity.

That being said, if you can get any type of research, can be economics or politics or psych department, anything you're interested in, it will be a big plus to interviewers. They love asking about that stuff and are trying to see if you can explain exactly what you did and understand what the real side of research looks like (grants, proposals, deadlines, hours and hours of behind the scene stuff).

Research looks good and one of those weekend podiatry school "internships". You basically spend a few days on the campus if a pod school, attend workshops, seminars, and learn about the field. I know Kent and NYCPM have one. It might look good to put on your resume.

Hospital jobs might also look good. I think working in the office of a podiatrist can help you write a good p/s.

Community service programs aren't bad either.

Clubs and organizations. I know for a FACT most schools have a pre-med club, dentistry, opto but rarely is there ever a pre-pod club. If you're able to start one in your school, it would look nice on your app, I guess.

Summary:
-Podiatry school intern programs
-Research
-Clinical jobs & experience
-Volunteering
-leadership roles in clubs and organizations (start a pre-pod club)

Also don't get too caught up in trying to look good to ad coms. Do something you also enjoy too and it'll naturally give you a story to tell